Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2023-10-12
14:11:59
 Torpedo run image on the cover

Hi gamers! One of my very few games I used to play in the golden era was TORPEDO RUN. I suppose I had a cracked version wink because I don't remember the tape cover as I see in our site.
Well, the question is: there is an image of a game in a computer screen is very different than that one that appeared in our Plus/4 screen. Is it possible the game had been originally written for a previous (poor) machine?
P.S. - The game title seems to be Torpedorun instead Torpedo run.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-10-12
20:10:56
 Re: Torpedo run image on the cover

That's a really interesting observation! I never noticed it (well, never really took a close look at that cover before, to be honest happy). The screen definitely doesn't match the C16 version... It might be just an artists rendition of "a game" (not this game).

I hope someone owns a copy of this and sends us a higher resolution scan!

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-10-12
21:45:28

I've never taken a deep look at the cover for lack of playing it. wink

Zooming in on the scan it almost looks hand made. The fonts are massive and not central or tidy. Also the word "Oxygen" in white is bleeding into blue water... The panels almost look like individual card strips that have been layed down. It may not be a screen shot at all but something that sort of represents one. Would it look like that on a VIC20?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-10-13
08:34:45

I've looked around a bit, but I don't think this game was released for the VIC20 (or any other systems, in fact). Hard to confirm that though.

We're on the same page; it's likely just illustration, not a screenshot. So how about that high res scan, @MIK? happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-10-14
09:27:40

I don't have a scanner any more, my old one was crap any way. Hopefully a photo will do.

It's not going to get any better than this as this is the same thing you would see with an eye glass magnifier at a printers.

Open the image in a new tab/window to see the full size version which is 1213x682.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-10-14
09:28:14

With a character grid applied to the image, it's clear that it's "fake", as in... just an illustration, and artist's rendering of what the game might look like:

Thanks MIK happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-10-14
09:37:10

Cool, yeah if it was made out of chars it would all like up perfectly. happy

Posted By

George
on 2023-10-14
18:46:26

They took fotographs from the actual screen back in the day. I guess the screenshots did not came out well so they helped out with some textmarkers.

Posted By

SVS
on 2023-10-15
04:00:18

Anyway I believe in the game there is no screen with so many ships. What I remember is one ship at once.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2023-10-15
04:51:41

@MIK: That would be very surprising as TVs and monitors back in those days exceedingly rarely had flat CRTs. If that was an actual photo of a screen we should see the distorted geometry in the picture. As it is nowhere to be seen, it is safe to conclude that they put there an "artist's impression" type illustration.

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-10-15
07:51:08

Lol I called it out as fake straight away, but instead of pointing out what it's not doing I said what it is doing. And the VIC20 comment was for others to say "no" as it's the closest machine to such a low resolution, and it would be a waste of memory to overlap graphics into other areas of the screen such as the word "OXYGEN".

But yeah, there is no crt distortion or discolouration on the white. The dots on the blue/sea are not crt effects but how printing makes different colours out of just 4 ink colours being black, yellow, magenta and cyan. And the original image is only 1 inch wide on the actual cover, tiny.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024