Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2023-08-15
10:36:41
 Re: Stunt Car Racer

Wow! What a surprise! Certainly one of my favourite games on C64. I've been secretly hoping that someone / someday would come up with this conversion (given the little to no use of sprites in the game - but, without ever taking a look at actual code at the same time).

My 2 cents:

- Configurable key bindings could be handy.
- Load/Saves could be handy.
- C64 compatible load/saves - would be striking, but probably not top prio for the conversion to be complete.
- I don't care about SID support, I prefer stuff for the stock platform (personal taste). Maybe a SID specific build could be supplied if desired, who knows. Additional note for sound: TL;DR, engine sound could probably still be improved, i.e. made more similar to that of the original one, by code taking the TED's frequency curve into account. (This is the same note that I could have said WRT Pigmy's Revs conversion back then). Long story: as you have probably noticed, the frequency curves, as a function of register value, fundamentally differ on the SID and the TED. For the SID, f is of type c*R, and, for the TED, f is roughly c/(N-R) (f is output frequency, R is register value, c is platform / TV standard specific constant, N=1023). For the SID, f is a linear function of R. For the TED, f is a 'reverse' 1/x of R. If you glide (i.e. keep increasing or decreasing the sound register value linearly), you get different glide characters (frequency curves) on the two platforms.
- Mem expansion, see: SID support happy . Probably a nice to have for a specific (extended) build. Add: there are probably much less memory expansion equipped machines out there than there are SID equipped ones (due to the fact that the memory expansion has to be built into the machine).

Again, thank you very much for working on this. happy

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024