Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-07-11
 Ptap and YAPE

I tried this a while back and it didn't work, but YAPE has been updated a couple of times since then. So, has anyone tried creating a TAP file in YAPE from a prg file that will work using Markus Brenner's ptap program? When I tried it last year, it wouldn't recognise it, not in the same way as it wouldn't recognise half-wave files (or is it whole-wave I can't remember), it just wouldn't recognise it full stop.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-11
 Re: Ptap and YAPE

Wholewave TAP is still bugged when using turbos (like Novaload), although the header info I've fixed a few releases back. I'll have a look at it. The odd thing is that it did work already with very early versions of Yape...

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-12

I've fixed the bug... I was writing one pulse less to the file than necessary (esp. for turbos). If you can't wait till next release or want to test it, I can send it to you via email. Let me know wink

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-07-12

That's excellent news if I can get it to work. I'll need to give it a go. I'll stick a "nospam" phrase before my email address : it's nospamphilipspector@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-12

You have new mail happy

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-07-13

I'm using NOVALOAD to make turbos. It works when I use halfwave, but will not load when I use wholewave, even though I do everything else the same. Obviously I know there's a chance I'm doing something wrong somewhere so this is what I did(capitals are the options I click on in YAPE's options at the top:
1. ATTACH TAP - novaturbo.tap
2.loaded it then initialised it with F1
3.LOAD PRG- click on banditsatzero.prg
4.FILE- SAVE AS PRG- I take a note of address numbers, then click CANCEL
5.TAPE- CREATE TAP - I call it "zero.tap"- SAVE (WHOLEWAVE TAP CHECKED)
6.I then type S"zero",7,1001,3b86 and press return
7.It says "press play and record on tape", so I click TAPE- RECORD

I load the TAP file created from this and after a short while it freezes. Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-13

And this is exactly what got fixed in the version I've sent you. Have you checked your email already? happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-13

Actually the problem is that one last pulse is missing from the end of the TAP (ie: not saved correctly). You can work it around by doing a rewind in the emulator and then press PLAY again. Alternatively you could use a HEX editor to fix the TAP itself, but that's a bit far fetched... The best is toi fix the emulator itself, and it's done already happy

The one I've sent ya fixes this very same problem, I had tested it before sending and it worked well.

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-07-13

I forgot to put at the start of the last post that this was the result of my first attempts with YAPE 0 .50, the one you sent me. It does the same thing as the one brfore, but you made the YAPE and you know more about it than me, so I'm going to experiment again. The pessimist in me predicts that it will not work...

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-13

Oh yeah, one more thing! Make sure that you first Stop the tape then Detach the TAP image once Novaload finsihed saving! The latter is rather important, otherwise the TAP can become corrupt. I've just tested it again and it worked, I hope you'll succeed as well.

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-07-14

Isn't that strange, that's just what I wasn't doing! Last night I tried it again and detached it, and it works fine. Another triumph for Attila. For a laugh, I tried using NOVALOAD on that 1992 plus4 version of Commando, and never expected anything to happen, but the start of the program actually loaded up before a dialog box came up saying "corrupt byte at xxxx - do you wish to start monitor". Close. Wouldn't it be great if you could turboload those plus4 games so you could play them on a plus4 without having to wait half an hour for them to load? That's for another day, but that alteration of YAPE makes a big difference - thanks again.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-14

Not sure I fully understand you here. You tried to make a tape file out of Commando, right? Where did you get that error message from? YAPE does not have such error message nor the real thing. Anyway, glad that it finally worked for you, too. happy

There are faster turbos than Novaload but at the same time they are less reliable and require halfwave format.

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-07-14

I should explain myself better; it wasn't a message that came up on the screen in YAPE, it was a Windows Dialog Box, similar to the one you get with the "this machine has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" message. This one had a white cross on a red background, with the heading "Do you want to go to Monitor?". In the box it said "CPU jam at address $49C2" Underneath there was a YES and NO button. I don't know what that means.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-07-14

Ah, then that was a YAPE message =-) Actually that's kind of equivalent to what's happening in your PC: the emulated CPU crashed probably because not being able to reload the program properly... It's a bit odd why you had that when it's supposed to be fixed already :-/ Well... I'll check that myself too and see...

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-07-14

Personally, I was surprised the load got as far as it did. I assumed that because I used a Tuboload that was primarily for C16 games, it wouldn't work with any program larger than a standard C16 game, like Commando+4. After all, Novaload does say "CBM 12" in the loading screen. I thought that meant it wasn't able to deal with anything bigger than 12K, which I assume the 12 represents.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-07-14

I've attempted my own TAP of Commando+4, and I get the exact same error. It occurs when the program first loads and displays 'Checkpoint' followed by a memory address which starts from $1000 and goes up. On the PRG, it stops at around $7000 and loads. On my TAP version, it goes all the way up to $FFFF and crashes exactly the way Spector described.

And that's using Novaload. If I use the Kernal loader, it doesn't work at all. I can only assume it's some kind of anti-copying system.

As for Novaload, that CBM 12 message is probably just a version number (which there were a lot of). Novaload definitely works with programs larger than 16K, I managed to get the Dizzy ports to work on my real Plus4, using Novaload TAP's made on YAPE. happy

Novaload was also used for Mercenary, which is a Plus4 only game. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024