Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Cinderman
on 2022-11-30
03:45:29
 Plus 4 Chip Replacement

Hi

I finally got my hands on a plus 4 from EBay UK to complete the collection (Vic, 16 and 64 already owned) and it was bought untested with all leads and joystick / datasette for £60. Usually I find most issues with the old Commodores are quite trivial and can be repaired with a bit of a clean up and reseating chips. However, I got the dreaded black screen so upon looking into it, thought it could be the TED chip. Given they are pretty cheap to replace, I was hoping it was that but I swapped over the CPU from my 16 and it fired up straight away. As I’ve now learned, these chips are expensive, fragile and rare so wondered what the alternatives were. Excuse the naievity but will an 8502 do the job without modification? Also, is a 6510 or a 6502 better (when using an adapter) I have both the 6502 and 6510 chips spare so would want the best suited.

Any help would be fantastic!

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-11-30
05:25:14
 Re: Plus 4 Chip Replacement

Hi Cinderman! Leaving the best answer to the expert ones, I only suggest to you about using the forum's search function with the term "replacement", as this argument has been touched in general lines several times here now, and some threads could help you in getting closer to your target wink

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2022-11-30
06:05:05

You cannot use a 6502 or 6510 directly, let alone 8502s, which are actually even rarer than 8501s!

My favourite solution would be the MOS CPU Replacer as it's open source, but you would have to build that yourself and besides it still has a few bugs.

What I'd recommend at the moment is the nice 6502 adapter which user @MCes here sells. It has a reasonable cost and is very reliable.

Another choice would be the 6502plus4. This has a nice 512k RAM expansion built-in, but there's not much software using it.

There are also very simple (passive) 6510 adapters around, those would be ok as temporary replacements, as a long-term solution I strongly recommend one of the above.

Posted By

Cinderman
on 2022-11-30
07:03:23

You are indeed a gentleman! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. From the limited reading I had done, the 6502 seemed the best route so I’ll see if I can contact MCes and get something sorted
Thanks again, good to know there are good people around to help us that aren’t in the know!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-11-30
07:44:10

We do have a Hardware section here on the site, with the express purpose that this kind of stuff would be easily located happy

Indeed it has a "Chip Replacement" section (and the 6502 plus 4 is listed, for example), though admittedly the whole thing is a bit lacking (for the simple reason that I know very little about hardware). Site members can edit this section (please do), or if you have any requests/ideas on how to improve it, let me know.

Posted By

MCes
on 2022-12-01
11:21:13

@Csabo (Hardware section): "Site members can edit this section (please do), or if you have any requests/ideas on how to improve it, let me know."

How can it be edited? I have some hardware to add...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-12-01
11:59:48

Do you mean add a new piece of hardware (e.g. a new chip replacement) that is not yet listed in that section? For that you should click the "Add New Hardware" button (very bottom of the page). (Or, from the admin screen - link found on the homepage - select "Hardware", then click "New".)

If you want to add your owned pieces of hardware, click the "Add My Hardware" from your own member detail page.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024