Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-11-28
13:30:10
 Re: V364 Project

I feel it is a very important project, as one of the last pictures of Jack Tramiel at Commodore was with this very special machine.
Frankly speaking, a little more or at least expandable built-in memory (256KB?), a 64KB 3+1 ROM package and an IEEE-488 cartridge could have been made the original 364 machine more serious computer than with the Toshiba speech IC. Certainly with the numeric keyboard the computer definitely looks more "serious" than the Plus/4.

The new motherboard with new layout represent a real challange (especially in cost), not to mention getting the speech IC as NOS. The speech ROM content centainly available, thanks to some enthusiasts.

Some points from my side for the "easy" project I would definitely buy (the 364 with the new motherboard + speech IC? Maybe):
-For me a Plus/4 motherboard compatible 364 housing would with a working numeric keyboard would better fit.
Certainly it would mean much lower project cost, and certainly not a faithful reproduction. Would be good enough for me, but maybe I am alone with that.
-The extra space could be used for some built-in peripheries, like internal SD drive (HDD happy ) and C64 type joystick connectors with a built-in converter + TED protector. Even a cooling fan?
-For me a white numeric buttons would better fit to the design, but maybe it is just me.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024