Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

gmontag451
on 2022-07-22
15:00:46
 Re: Help with video output

OK, it's now working and it's beautiful! Like you guys said there are so many different ones which all look the same and it's a crap shoot. The fix was to just spend $5 more to buy the right converter...

On this video from Floppy Deep Dive there's a comment from William Campbell pointing out the differences between the converter in the video and the knock offs. So I realized I had a cheapo unit and just ordered the one from the video description. The new one works beautifully except for faint jailbars! Even the composite video works, but it's not very good. So I ordered a cable with a 300 ohm resistor from 8-bit Classics which should eliminate the jailbar lines.

I also tested the Apple IIe and the Atari 800XL (using an 8-bit Classics cable) and both look so much better on this new device. I'll probably do a comparison video when my new cable arrives. Thanks everyone for your advice, and I hope my post will help others!

So the two units look basically the same in photos, but here are the differences:

The non-compatible knockoff has a soft rubber casing, the VGA IN is on one side by itself and the VGA OUT is on the back next to AV IN and SVIDEO IN. The input button causes a straight cut between modes. Also it comes in a bag.

The Plus/4 compatible one from the video has a hard casing with screws on the bottom, the VGA OUT is on the side by itself and the VGA IN is next to AV IN and SVIDEO IN. The input button causes a swipe effect between modes, and it comes in a box.

Link to the device shown in the video: [ link ]

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024