Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

gmontag451
on 2022-07-20
21:48:22
 Help with video output

I just bought a VGA converter (as seen in this post) and while it works with my Apple IIe (composite video) and Atari 800XL (S-Video), I'm getting nothing from the Plus/4.

I'm using a cable which I once used to connect a C128 to S-Video, and I also tried the composite video on pin 4. I can get I get a really poor image from the RF cable on my TV, but I don't have a monitor or other S-Video device to test it with.

Can anyone offer any troubleshooting suggestions? Could there be a problem with the video port?

(Also, I see some sites show different video pinouts for the Plus/4 and the C64, but some show the same pinout. What is the correct pinout?)

Posted By

siz
on 2022-07-21
02:52:34
 Re: Help with video output

Unfortunately that thing is a crap. It's made with different internals, some lucky ones said to be working but I'm not aware of anyone who was able to use it properly. The output of the Commodore computers is not exactly 50Hz (or 60Hz in NTSC land) and a lot of these converters can't display that properly.
My suggestion would be to buy a RetroTink if you want to display your computers' output on a modern display but those are not cheap. Or you could buy an older TV/monitor with S-Video input. Those will work properly.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2022-07-21
03:49:50

What siz said. Or you could try your luck with a GBS-8200 modified with gbs-control if you insist on using a VGA monitor. I think there are ready to use modded kits available from time to time.

Posted By

gmontag451
on 2022-07-21
15:12:51

I just remembered that my cable has no resistor, but it sounds like the resistor won't help in this case. Also I realized I have a VCR in the basement, but I think that will just give me crappy RF signal on the VGA monitor.
Thanks for your advice on the RetoTink and GBS-8200. Sounds like I'll need to save up for better equipment!

Posted By

gmontag451
on 2022-07-22
15:00:46

OK, it's now working and it's beautiful! Like you guys said there are so many different ones which all look the same and it's a crap shoot. The fix was to just spend $5 more to buy the right converter...

On this video from Floppy Deep Dive there's a comment from William Campbell pointing out the differences between the converter in the video and the knock offs. So I realized I had a cheapo unit and just ordered the one from the video description. The new one works beautifully except for faint jailbars! Even the composite video works, but it's not very good. So I ordered a cable with a 300 ohm resistor from 8-bit Classics which should eliminate the jailbar lines.

I also tested the Apple IIe and the Atari 800XL (using an 8-bit Classics cable) and both look so much better on this new device. I'll probably do a comparison video when my new cable arrives. Thanks everyone for your advice, and I hope my post will help others!

So the two units look basically the same in photos, but here are the differences:

The non-compatible knockoff has a soft rubber casing, the VGA IN is on one side by itself and the VGA OUT is on the back next to AV IN and SVIDEO IN. The input button causes a straight cut between modes. Also it comes in a bag.

The Plus/4 compatible one from the video has a hard casing with screws on the bottom, the VGA OUT is on the side by itself and the VGA IN is next to AV IN and SVIDEO IN. The input button causes a swipe effect between modes, and it comes in a box.

Link to the device shown in the video: [ link ]

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-07-27
07:56:37

Those nasty jail bars come for free with every C64 and C16/Plus4 when displayed on a classic CRT TV or LCD TV ect when using Composite Video, S-Video, BNC or Chroma Lumina cables.

Interesting a simple resistor in the video lead can make them go away. A shame this was never added back in the day.

The only time they looked as if they disappeared was with RF. RF has a very dark - high contrast image so hides them... While we might of put up with it once, these days RF is too blurry to use full time. I like the darker colours from RF but otherwise meh. grin

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024