Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

shoulders
on 2022-11-27
09:06:57
 What is the default Tape wave format for the Plus4

Hi All

When you record a tape on the C64 it will be in Wholewave format as this is all it knows.

The Plus4 as you know, can read Halfwave and Wholewave tapes, so I have 2 questions.:

1) What is the default wave format the Plus4 uses to write tapes?
2) Can you specify what wave format to write a tape in?

I hope someone knows the answers happy

Thanks

Bump :)

Posted By

Gaia
on 2022-11-27
09:39:58
 Re: What is the default Tape wave format for the Plus4

Halfwave TAP should be the default as it's the only one that has all features a real +4 tape signal needs. Although I have been involved in its specification process I personally am not a great fan of it, but the archiving process is already way ahead so it's not meaningful to come up with alternatives.

Posted By

shoulders
on 2022-11-27
14:16:20

@Gaia

What I meant was happy, if on a real commodore Plus4 if i saved a BASIC program to tape, what wave format does the commodore use?

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-11-28
05:51:54

1, The normal kernal save routine is wholewav. Anything that does not use a Turbo is wholewav.

2, Halfwav is only found with Turbo Loaders on C16/Plus4 but maybe 75% of the Turbo Loaders out there actually use it. Novaload is a wholewav for example, but stuff from say Anco are ALL halfwav. Something like that commercial Kingsize Turbo saving program was halfwav. Halfwav was used to prevent copying or make it more difficult but that just turned out to be pony. All halfwav did was make some prog's a bit more difficult to load if your tape deck was not aligned properly.

It's not easy to tell what a Turbo is be it whole of half. As a little clue as to what something 'might' be, if a Turbo has dull and soft colored raster bars when a program loads then it's more likely a halfwav. Novaload being a wholewav has solid bright colored raster bars.

Posted By

shoulders
on 2022-11-28
05:34:06

thanks for that info, I will update my notes. happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-11-28
05:53:50

I added a little more to my post above, raster bar colors... No problem.

Posted By

shoulders
on 2022-11-28
06:23:33

Ulysses777 wrote a utility to check the wave formats of Tapes called 'Tape Wave Checker'

Find it here https://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Tape_Wave_Checker

I did a small write up on my Commodore Tape page

https://quantumwarp.com/kb/articles/125-emulators/977-commodore-tape-transfers

Search for 'Tape Wave Checker (TAPE_WAVE_CHECKE.PRG) '

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-11-28
16:00:29

Cool page! Neat there is a tool to tell you what's what be it half or full. happy

Don't know if you ever got to see it, Mike D who used to have his +4 emulator Minus4 on plus4.com in the very early 2000's did a great write up on how to make .wav tapes using any old cassette player and a PC. It was no means easy to get working, but once you had something setup I managed to copy a few tapes, see Rockman.wav which was one of mine.
Although there is no need for it these days it may come in handy if you can find it...
I just tried way back machine and managed to get Mike D's old plus4.com up from around 2003, I could not find the .wav tap info though. I'm sure it was before this time but way back machine only shows so much or may not of existed when the info was around, maybe 1999-ish. sad

Posted By

Gaia
on 2022-11-29
17:19:22

@MIK

That little write-up first appeared on his .demon.co.uk site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000818052836/http://www.scotch.demon.co.uk/tape.htm

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-11-30
05:14:47

Wow!! How on earth did you remember that Gaia?!?! Seeing those words 'Scotch Demon', I remember now. grin
Amazing you remembered and nicely done digging it out! happy

Posted By

shoulders
on 2022-11-30
05:54:56

This one is going in the notes as-well. It is amazing what information is lost over time on the internet.

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-11-30
13:49:01

Feel free as Mike D was good like that and only too happy too help. The creator of the game Lemmings has a soft spot for the Plus/4 as it was his first computer. happy

Posted By

Gaia
on 2022-11-30
13:49:10

@MIK, yeah those good old times happy we are experiencing a nostalgia of the nostalgia here, man... grin

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-11-30
13:56:17

@Gaia Ha! Indeed, C16/Plus4's were about 16 years old back in 1999 and people were calling it Retro back then! And since that time another 23 years have past!!!???!!! Mad! grin

Posted By

Retroshire
on 2022-12-01
02:43:30

Wow, it would be great to edit the firmware of the C64 Tapecart for loading C16/+4 prg's

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024