Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

xahmol
on 2022-05-26
03:33:36
 TED Screen Edit, first beta release

Earlier this year I released a screen editor for the 80 column mode of the Commodore 128, VDC Screen Editor.
As I liked the challenge to also program for the Plus/4 and I also like to edit screens taking advantage of the Plus/4 121 colors, I have ported this program to a Plus/4 version.

Today I release the first public beta. See file attached (rename extension to ZIP, unzip, and use the .D64 or .D81 image).

Download link:

https://github.com/xahmol/TEDScreenEdit/raw/main/tedscreenedit-v099-20220525-2330.zip

TED Screen Editor is an editor to create text based screens for the Commodore Plus/4. It fully supports using a user defined character set.

Main features of the program:

• Support for screen maps larger than 40x25 characters. Screens can be up to 15 KiB (15.615 bytes), all sizes fitting in that memory with width of 40 at minimum and heigth of 25 at minimum are supported. NB: As both the character data as the attribute data needs to be stored, a screen takes width times height times 2 bytes in storage. So 15k would fit up to 7 standard 40x25 screens to be distributed over width and height, so e.g. 2 screens wide and 3 screens high (80x75 characters).

• Supports resizing canvas size, clear or fill the canvas

• Support for loading user defined charsets (should be standard charsets of 128 characters of 8 bits width and 8 bits height that will be hardware reversed for screencodes higher than 128).

• Includes a simple character editor to change characters on the fly and directly see the result in your designed screen (for editing a full character set one of the many alternatives for C64 character set editing is suggested).

• Supports luminance and blink attributes of the TED, giving 121 colors and the ability for flashing characters.

• In not redefined charactersets lowercase and uppercase character set can be selected (but bot can not be used at the same time).

• User definable background and border color.

• Write mode to freely type characters with the keyboard, supporting all printable PETSCII characters and also supporting Commodore or Control + 0-9 keys for selecting colors and RVS On/Off

• Color write mode to freely type attributes and colors

• Line and box mode for drawing lines and boxes

• Select mode to cut, copy, delete or repaint (only color or all attributes) the selection.

• Move mode to scroll the screen contents (due to memory constraints only for the 40x25 viewport)

• Palette mode, including visual PETSCII mode, to visually select characters and colors

• Favorite slots to quickly select 10 favorite characters

• TED2PRG utility to convert a 40x25 TEDSE project to a stand-alone executable for the Commodore Plus/4

Love to hear your feedback on this one!

Posted By

xahmol
on 2022-05-26
03:33:57
 Re: TED Screen Edit, first beta release

Video demoing the functionality, recorded from a real hardware Plus/4:
https://youtu.be/CVC6QJGB5LI

Posted By

xahmol
on 2022-05-26
03:34:24

Full source code at:
https://github.com/xahmol/TEDScreenEdit

Posted By

Mad
on 2022-05-26
10:11:52

Wow, great tool!

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-05-26
13:04:10

Had just a little run while packing up the stuff for the site's entry, and from the first steps I spent around it, it looks quite a clever tool, congratulations! More reviews later, when I'll have the privilege to use it better.

Posted By

xahmol
on 2022-05-26
14:15:09

Thanks and would love to hear your comments, suggestions, bugs, etc.

Posted By

javierglez
on 2022-05-28
12:03:36

Thanks for sharing the code

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-05-28
16:17:44

The monitor on the title screen is very good! It has an early 1990's "video game" full motion video quality about it. happy

Posted By

xahmol
on 2022-05-28
17:20:36

@MIK: thanks! The monitor plus computer was created using the Petsciiator ( https://github.com/EgonOlsen71/petsciiator ) tool from a photo of a real Commodore monitor plus Plus/4.
Everything around it edited by myself using TEDSE.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024