Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-05-20
11:23:22
 Remakes from Lacoste

Stellar WarsLacoste has been making remakes of classic C16 games for the Gameboy at an incredible pace: from all the known remakes, nearly half of them (37 at the time of this writing) are his! The latest two added today are for Booty and Stellar Wars. You can see a list of all his remakes.

If you fancy playing some C16 oldies on a Gameboy, this is your chance! Know of any more remakes we missed? Be sure to let us know on the forum.

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-05-20
11:23:22
 Re: Remakes from Lacoste

Would love to play some of these on a real Gameboy Colour. Not sure how but must be some SD cart out there that allows it...

Btw looking at Lacoste's page here on Plus/4 World, he looks like the American actor William Fichtner in his photo! grin

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-05-20
12:24:58

Hmm, you have a point...

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-05-21
06:22:13

No disrespect to Lacoste though. happy

The first time I saw William Fichtner he was a pilot of a Space Shuttle in the movie Armageddon and while he didn't stand out as he was a bit too serious doing his intended job, it was the stuff he did later that made me take notice. He was in the TV series Invasion (2005) were he really shined as an awesome actor with a great presents on screen, and he was just as good in the TV series Prison Break, (2005-2017). He's also done a lot of newer movies like Elysium (2013).

He was also the Lawyer in the video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, (Ken Rosenberg)

But yeah, I like William Fichtner. happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-05-22
21:49:54

I really enjoy seeing those new and faithful conversions/remakes on such a great platform, as GameBoy Color.
(Booty was one of the most annoying games I've ever played on C16 happy )

Unfortunately I missed this period of handheld consoles to have a Gameboy or GB Color.
I had my "Nintendo game and watch" in my childhood, and my kids have the Switch, but almost nothing in between.

Back to the joke: I warn you not to make jokes on William Fichtner...
He was the Manager of Gotham National Bank (in Batman the Dark Knight), so as you should know, he is linked to the mafia happy

Posted By

Stinaris
on 2022-05-23
10:44:58

Invasion was awesome. Shame they cancelled it after 1 season.

Also if you fancy a game of Kaboom! on the gameboy check out my conversion
https://fantasy-software-designs.itch.io/kaboom

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-05-23
23:23:28

Yeah Invasion was ace! grin

That pre "Lost" era saw a few TV series being pulled after one season. Surface, Odyssey 5, Harsh Realm and of course Invasion. sad

One thing with these Gameboy games, there might be a chance to get them on the big screen via a SNES using the Super Gameboy adapter. The adapter supported the early black Gameboy colour carts any way. Ummm.

Posted By

Litwr
on 2022-05-24
04:15:24

Excuse me my question but I have difficulty with word "remake". IMHO it means a thing which is based on another thing but for the same media. For example, it is a remake of an old film. Why don't we use word "port" instead of "remake" in this topic?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-05-24
08:21:22

I think "port" is a synonym for conversion, e.g. more like how a TON of C64 games got ported to the Plus/4. In most cases, everything from the original is there as-is, only minor portions are changed.

These remakes are essentially new games that try to be somewhat similar to the original. IMHO Laco's games are clearly remakes: the rules and gameplay are only similar, not the same.

Well, anyway, those are the rough definitions of how I use those words happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-05-24
10:55:20

The term "remake" has been set and used years ago, btw: Wikipedia.

Posted By

Litwr
on 2022-05-24
13:18:18

Thanks. Maybe I am wrong but when I hear word remake, for instance of Treasure Island I think about super Treasure Island with FLI-graphics and improved sounds. happy So my logic is that there are ports for other platforms which do not exactly match originals. We know that the same games for different platforms are often not the same - compare for example the same games for the c64 and zx spectrum - and we usually do not call them remakes. It is only MHO.

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-05-24
14:19:51

Yeah a port has to contain elements of the original like Ghost'n Goblins on the Amiga used the arcade graphics and most of it's gameplay. The ones made for 8bit , G'nG is more a "Based on the Original" which I think Outrun on home computer did state if I remember correct.
Today such games that are not a port might be called Home Brew but even then some people might say it's a port - and that all depends on how good it is. wink

Posted By

Lacoste
on 2022-05-26
16:41:52

Hahaha!! happy William Fichtner. I don't think I look like him. I look more like Luca than this actor. happy Thank you for the mention, it went well for me.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024