Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Charlemagne
on 2022-05-16
17:23:04
 This is totally off-topic, but Commodore

Hi Commodore Enthusiasts,

Yes, I know this stuff is not strictly related to Commodore Plus/4, but I realised that one-or-two of you had-or-have got an-or-more Commodore computers such as Amiga.

Maybe... this program will be useful for who like to make HAM6-or-HAM8 pictures easily, with header or without, compressed or not, etc. for their games or demos similar to me. Or for who only like drawings, paintings, photos or pictures.

Here is a bit taste of it (you can also see a created HAM picture using in an emulator and a real Amiga 1200):

You can download it from my homepage: http://www.charlemagne.hu

Have a nice HAMing.

Posted By

Mad
on 2022-05-16
20:05:35
 Re: This is totally off-topic, but Commodore

Nice! Great that you mastered HAM! happy Pictures look awesome.. Never got an Amiga at home but probably played several hundreds of hours on em. Congrats!

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-05-17
14:11:15

Great job!
HAM was a magnificent way to provide almost photo-realistic picture with small size in memory.

Sure, HAM took the CPU time as the FLI on the our system, but looked great.

Very few real HAM GFX was made back then on A500 (due to it's complexity), one of the better ones was converted into Plus/4 FLI in my VDC Challenge slideshow.
The original:
https://www.hisour.com/hold-and-modify-27238/

So you can easily find the evidence of my true enthusiasm towards HAM graphics happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-05-17
16:30:54

To those that may not know... If you use the default theme on this very website, it was made and crafted on an A1200. A little polish and a neat sparkling effect was added to the Commodore logo from Csabo later but still, it's mostly Amiga. wink

Also, the A500 shares the same back styling on the top of the case as a Plus4 so a connection with the two machines is there for sure. grin

Posted By

Charlemagne
on 2022-05-19
14:34:14

As you can see in the video above the HAM pictures are very interesting and very funny how the hardware is decoding them on the fly. This is why you see the colourful strips on the left edge of the screen bouncing. Yes they are just the same as when you are playing back a music wave and looking at the oscilloscope. We can reduce this "noise" a little bit in that case we pre-calculate the start pixels in every line, but it takes a long time (HAM stores only the differences so toward to the right edge will be a "fat snail"), so the scroll is getting slower. I may give it a try or I put a music in the background and lie it is a grafics-effect... happy

I recognised some little bugs and rethought the RLE compression. I gave it a help in order you to be able to decode it if you need.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024