Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

shoulders
on 2022-03-07
11:46:04
 Preferred method for Inlay and Tape Scans

I am going through my collection after imaging to TAP of my Commodore Plus/4 tapes and checking against the Plus/4 World catalogue and I have found tapes and inlays that need scanning and uploading.

Is there preference with size /and/or capture method?

I guess with the inlays just use a flatbed scanner at maximum DPI?

Tapes, can they be done in a flatbed scanner?

What about manuals? PDF?

Thanks in advanced

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-03-07
12:15:30
 Re: Preferred method for Inlay and Tape Scans

Thank you for your contribution.

About the covers: if readable, a 950px max wider JPG would be enough, if you want or need (for readability needs) a bigger one, we use to put up the 950px wide one with a [Larger picture] link for a bigger version.

About disks and cassettes: 950px wide JPGs would be large enough.

Manuals: if simply leaflets, or limited to few pages, page(s)'s scans would work; if they're quite big, sort of *real* manuals, we use to include'em as publications, and yes PDF is the preferred format in that specific case, although sometimes in the past times we also used to simply add a link to the PDF manual straight in the archived software's page.

Posted By

Docsland
on 2022-03-08
02:58:20

Dear Shoulders, thank you for your post. Last week i discussed really the same questions with cbm-warrior by phone from germany. I think theres a wonderful collection of tape and disc covers on this platform, but: if someone tried to print them to fill up the empty places in his own summary, the print out did not be so nice, because the size is not like it should.So i would also ask one of the admins, if they are able to bring us the best size online, so everybody can directly print and cut a cover out uf the pictures here. Some of the scans here are so old and bad in quality, a printing out is no good idea...
There are so fine printing utilities in the collection for those old Hardware like the mps series, but nothing useful ,to print the covers out of the collected pictures/scans with modern hardware...
Anybody able to fix this???
Greetings from germany
Docsland

Posted By

shoulders
on 2022-03-08
03:35:57

@Docsland

I also prefer that the inlay scans should be a single front and back so they can be printed out, unlike some of the scans where the inlays have been cut up into to several bits.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-03-08
08:16:30

We used to cut them simply because they would not fit on the site. Plus/4 World is old... Remember having a 640 pixel wide resolution on your monitor? happy

All newer inlay scans are kept as one, e.g. check Hidra for a recently added one. A lot of the older ones have been replaced already, e.g. check Tycoon Tex (which used to be "cut" as well). If you see anything like Bandits At Zero - those can be replaced with higher quality scans as well. Not a high priority, but should be done if possible.

Posted By

shoulders
on 2022-03-08
08:36:30

I will scan all of my tape inlays as one front and one back. Might as well then I only have to do it once.

It is a right of passage too scan and image all of your tapes and it makes you feel you have joined the club happy

Is it best to use a flatbed scanner or a camera to get the tape images?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-03-08
09:57:43

Yes, that's the best approach: scanner for paper, camera for cassettes.

Posted By

shoulders
on 2022-03-08
10:53:52

brill, thats tapes, inlays and manuals sorted.

Last one happy

Can scanning 5 1/4 inch disks in a flatbed scanner harm them? i.e. ionise the magnetic material etc..

I have a disk that I cannot find on your site and do not want to harm it.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-03-09
13:39:59

I'm not sure if it would be affected, I don't remember this question ever coming up. My suggestion would be: either try this with a dummy disk first (that you wouldn't mind getting destroyed), or scan only the disk sleeve, or just take a photo as if it were a cassette.

Posted By

Luca
on 2022-03-09
13:43:06

Just to be clear: at the moment, the aim of the scans we store on Plus/4 World is not necessarily the reproduction as a tangible printed result.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2022-03-09
13:58:31

Don't worry, it will not affect the disk when you put it in a photocopy machine or scanner happy It is the same as if you'd use a torchlight on it...

Posted By

shoulders
on 2022-03-09
14:23:23

I will make sure all of my disks are imaged (and verified) and then try scanning them.

thanks for the feedback.

P.S. the software I have that I can't find on your site is called Stargazer and it plots stars out on screen. It is disk based and comes with a manual.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-03-09
20:40:14

I quickly checked all of our archives and sources, that one (Stargazer) is definitely new. We've never heard of it happy Looking forward to it though!

Edit: Stargazer +4, an absolute rarity, is now online on Plus/4 World!

Posted By

shoulders
on 2022-06-16
06:30:53

Could all this information be put on an official FAQ page/section?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-06-16
15:13:36

Good call! I updated most sections here, as some sections were outdated: [ Editing ].

There's not much to be said about covers, we've never had a problem receiving them happy These are manually processed, the higher resolution the better, that's about it.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024