Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Lavina
on 2022-02-17
12:02:03
 Quantum mechanics and conventional computers

My base question is: why don’t quantum scale “events” influence the behaviour of conventional computers. Or do they?

For what we know, quantum mechanincs is a fact. happy
Things just happen “spontaniously” with elementary particles and with their characteristics on the quantum level. These often manifest (are expressed) on the atomic scale and above, influencing our macro world. Just think about mutation of the DNA. Some if it, if not caused by an external chemical agent or ionizing radiation, just happen. This with time can cause evolution, or tumors, “good” or malignant. In this sense, “unfortunate” quantum level events can be expressed on a macro scale. It’s a scientific fact now.

So back to my question… Why these spontaneous (for the simplicity) quantum events don’t manifest into the macro world, why don’t they cause malfunction in computers, especially CPU, memory, etc. My guess is that when it comes to computers, we are far above the quantum scale and semiconductor parts are not affected as much when one of many billions of atoms (actually one of its subatomic particles) in them is affected by a quantum event. The flow of current will find its way “around” the “malfunctioning” gold atom in the chip, basically, or the quantum event does not even influence the behaviour of that atom concerning its “role” in the “affected” part of a computer

Posted By

Litwr
on 2022-02-17
14:48:54
 Re: Quantum mechanics and conventional computers

IMHO computers stop to evolve above 5 GHz. I know only two reasons for this:
1) global conspiracy;
2) quantum mechanics.
Bill Mensch told that he could make the 6502@100GHz so I think the first is more likely. happy

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2022-02-17
17:24:17

Cool joke, Litwr. You are a funny guy. happy

Regarding the 5GHz barrier, AFAIK it is thermals. Mostly in the form of mechanical stress and to a lesser extent electrical problems.

Posted By

George
on 2022-02-17
18:00:07

My guess is that the randomness is just an observation from our 3 dimensional world...
In Quantumechanics probably more dimensions are involved.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2022-02-18
04:11:14

okay, so I guess Moore's Law will not be sustainable (or already isn't) because of physical barriers that already causes serious problems with getting the circuits smaller and smaller hence the speed higher and higher, as you said, the generated heat cannot be dealt with, etc. So we cannot come closer to the dimensions where quantum events would already start causing problems, like "randomly" loosing the stable 0 or 1 state of bits, etc... Well, if density cannot be increased any more, than the overall dimensions of ICs can be increased, so the calculation capactiy can increase further, but the nanoscale production will have a size limit "downwards", so we will not reach quantum dimensions. Of course, our plussy is far far away from these dimensions so probably we will never see a quantum event causing visible signs in the functionality. And probably the life expectancy of the Universe is not enough for such a "random" bunch of quantum events that would happen simultaneously in one place of a circuitry that could manifest in malfunction. But, the theoretical possibility remains :D We just don't have enough time to observe it. Case closed, I guess. :D

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2022-02-18
07:17:16

Actually, quantum effects already disturb the operation of semiconductors. Sort of. That's why manufacturers changed the structure of the transistors in them to combat these problems. Look up leakage current, planar transistor, FinFET, Gate All Around.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024