Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-11-22
07:59:13
 Back To The Showbiz!

Rock Star Ate My Hamster MillenniumThe cult management game "Rock Star Ate My Hamster", known at the Plus/4 latitudes as Rockstar Manager comes back to a new life with this +3 crack released by FIRE.

Rock Star Ate My Hamster Millennium is a crack of the same game, but with 50 brand new stars at the pinnacle of their success in the twenty-years period 2000-2020 to play with, and Chris Graham, the original graphician behind the fantastic caricatures which made it famous, takes in 4 of them, in his very distinguishable style. From the super rare version called "Rock Star Goes Bizarre", another roster of 7 has been added too. From now on, it's no longer a matter of Wacky Jacko and Maradonna like we still are in the 80ies, it's time to reunite those two bros in the name of britpop, or put together again those two "Bad Seeds" in a band ;)
The super skilled ZX Spectrum (and lotta more than that!) Aleksandr Trofimchuk, aka Schafft/Brothers/COM, has kindly granted permission to heavily retouch and add one piece of his art, and this honors the overall release.

Luca has released it both on Commodore 64 and Commodore Plus/4 with no commercial intents as a passionate fanwork, consequently to the fact that previous cracks and homebrew conversions have been tolerated to date. As the free distribution of the ZX Spectrum original has been denied, the only data tape to be used with the original game will be released for this specific machine.

And now... "eat dirt Clive!"

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-11-22
14:24:47
 Re: Back To The Showbiz!

Goes Bizarre Stars,

Furry might be Fergie. As in Sarah Ferguson.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-11-22
08:34:15

Very cool graphics! I love the artist caricatures happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2021-11-22
09:02:41

Great update, but I think someone forgot to mention that the Gallaghers from Oasis are brothers.

Will def have Noel Gallagher & Richard Aschroft in my next lineup.

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-11-22
10:09:30

Thank you mates happy

MIK: seems you're right indeed! Sarah Ferguson! :o I tried to ask that to Chris Graham but had no answer about, so I tried a launch of dices...

retroscener: oh well, the Gallagher Bros work together showing a link if you pick'em one after the other...by their names wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2021-11-22
10:57:28

Luca: It's okay, I'm a little slow today. I just got the reference of their alternate names now. I like it, lol.

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-11-22
11:01:09

retroscener: hahaha! grin

It's that I've ever been on the Blur side, the most happy

Posted By

aNdy/Cosine
on 2021-11-22
14:44:18

That's just brilliant! Many thanks!

Posted By

Ati
on 2021-11-22
15:13:30

Nice work Luca! I like the original spectrum maingfx. And Prodigy rulz.

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-11-22
15:30:41

Thank you aNdy/Cosine and Ati!
Yes, having Keith Flint in the roster is a honor, having him drawn by Chris Graham is a double honor! May he rest in peace...

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-11-22
21:36:59

Your have to forgive me Luca. As much as I loved Codemasters work I avoided this game on C64 for a few reasons. It borrowed and was linked to a stupid Sun news paper headline of "Freddie Starr ate my Hamster" and if he did or not I didn't gave a monkeys. And it wasn't an Arcade type game lol.

I'm sure school kids loved the idea of the game but the 19 year old me said no way was I buying that for C64! grin
So yeah I've never ever played it...
I fully understand the graphical style is very suited to our beloved Ted machines, and the mono pixel art is very cool. Maybe I should take a look after all. wink

On a side note do we know who nicked named the many faces?
Under the original stars... Sting looks more like Billy Idol with the ear ring and hair, if that's how it is in the original game then fair enough, leave it as is. happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-11-23
03:08:29

MIK yeah, I see you've a point here. I included the infamous "The Sun" cover and several other memorabilia in the Rockstar Manager page. I love this game, it's a sort of cult, and this is what I call a metagame, games which are valuable not just "games" but with a semantic meaning beyond being a plain video game.

As the author has pointed out in the article published on Retro gamer 78, this is a sort of non-game (hence, a truly limited and longevity-low game) raised up on rage against the music showbiz which the author himself did try for long time to afford with his band grin it's more a grotesque critics to that commercial and artistic world, so I'm not surprised you've never find it a palatable choice of play.

The gag names are assigned by the graphician Chris Graham himself, which also named the 4 stars donated to me (thanks!) for this version of the game.

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-11-23
16:20:36

Thanks for the insights Luca, every bit helps get a better overall understanding. happy

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-11-24
00:13:24

Btw.. the 2d monochrome images are work of an pixel art master! happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-11-24
02:29:30

Mad thank you bud, you always consider my skills higher than they actually are happy

I aimed to a "real them" style (Amy Whinehouse got three different versions, from why-so-serious to almost-cartoon) before choosing that one, whereas Chris Graham is recognizable by his unmistakable style of an expert caricaturist. I also loved to take in the 7 Goes Bizarre, which would have otherwise been lost forever. The C64/Plus/4/ZX Spectrum files are exactly the same, but different from the Amstrad CPC version (which I didn't released, in facts...), and I could write extensively about file structure and curiosities about it... E.g.: in Rockstar Manager, if you browse the stars till the end, it restart with a press-fire pause, because both the last file and the code itself are uselessly ported from the original Spectrum version, which expected the last star's last byte to be $D5 instead of $55 to be checked as "last character, rewind the tape"...here on disk! grin; useless to say, I fixed this flaw too.

Posted By

zbyti
on 2021-11-26
13:50:12

Big THX @Luca

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-11-29
12:26:37

OMG, come on, COME ON! Thank you Stuart Campbell for this! grin

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-11-29
23:53:37

WOW!!!! Awesome cover! grin

BTW,
Fun game and better than Football Manager!
The C64 style intro was cool and makes you wonder if Rockstar Games borrowed the idea for GTA Vice City. I think having it look like a C64 worked better, if it was a TED screen people might of been tempted to press Run/Stop. ;)
And the lame practice music was great. :D

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-11-30
07:51:38

Wow this cover rocks!

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-11-30
07:57:25

Btw, Rock Star Ate My Hamster Millennium has been included in the roster of games challenging into the Indie Retro News - C64 Game of The Year Award 2021 with absolutely no reasons for, as it's a mere hack of a game in which I added a little slice of code only! grin This makes me laugh loud, but I'm pickin'it up just as a matter of love smile

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-11-30
12:19:01

Ha! I gave it another vote. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024