Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Waz
on 2021-11-17
14:58:46
 Cover Version Additions for HVTC Entries

Good evening,

First of all, credit where it's due for Luca for the very hard work put into maintain HVTC, it's always good to have a listen to some of the classic game themes without the need to load up the game.

I had a good browse tonight and realised that there's some cover version additions that would be useful, so here goes:

games/blockbusters.prg
Cover of Blockbusters UK TV series theme tune by Ed Welch.

games/golf_royal.prg
Cover of Musette in D Major by Johann Sebastian Bach.

games/pheenix.prg
Cover of Romance d'Amour, a traditional song.

musicians/cavanagh_damien/hustler.prg
Cover of The Black and White Rag by George Botsford. The theme was also used for the UK TV snooker tournament series Pot Black, hence the use here.

musicians/moore_richard/purple_turtles.prg
Cover of Messing About on the River by Tony Hatch and Les Reed. The most common version is performed by Josh Macrae:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj9oez8ck8I

musicians / southern_shaun / vegas_jackpot.prg
Song 1 is a cover of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, from the film High Society, by Cole Porter.

musicians / waugh_ian / who_dares_wins_ii.prg
Cover of Theme from The Great Escape by Elmer Bernstein.

Also, if the tune from a game is the same as another version where that version is the original release (for example Laza is effectively a version of C64 Laserwheel, both by Shaun Southern) are those handled too, or not? Wasn't sure if these are meant to be included or not, hence me asking.

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-11-17
16:53:03
 Re: Cover Version Additions for HVTC Entries

I'm not 100% sure which games have some of this interesting music info added to the game page (brain fog) but some do, like Olympic Skier is the music from BBC's Ski Sunday, (info on page - scroll down). Always cool to find something that's been missed or we didn't know about. happy

There is one and it's a special one that is largely borrowed from a TV show yet has not been stamped as being one, Terra Nova. It's more or less the original Star Trek theme tune just some lead voice notes have been tweaked and moved about to make it sound different. It's very nicely done though and regarded as a C16/Plus4 classic tune even by me!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-11-17
18:06:23

This is excellent info, Waz!

I made some small adjustments, and now you should see an [ edit ] link right next to the HVTC entries. Please edit them and add these, it would really help us out happy

Posted By

Waz
on 2021-11-17
18:22:36

Edits are done from the entries I submitted - should be all good now. Here's an example of how it looks (I used Vegas Jackpot here)

I've added one too for Aardvark, tune 1. It's based on the theme tune to the South Bank Show (as you'll see below) and is Variation on Paganini's "24th Caprice" by Andrew Lloyd Webber, no less.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVfQB5HSfFQ

If I spot any more I'll add them in but also update this forum thread just to make everyone aware.

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-11-18
11:51:49

On the subject of inspired by, borrowed from or sat deep in the back of the mind when it was composed...

The game Xadium has music that I believe is one of the above and 'may' be related to Shannon Let The Music Play single from 1984.

Something else that I've always found interesting is that the Amiga game Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, the title tune is also one of the above with a Shannon Let The Music Play linked to it in some way. This one on Amiga was composed by a Barry Leitch but as you may know Lotus 2 was also the work of Andrew Morris who did Xadium. And as you know both games have a connection to Shaun Southern.
None of this is fact, it's just my own theory about the tunes having some type of a link to Let the Music Play...

Posted By

Waz
on 2021-11-18
16:14:09

Interestingly, looks like the number of characters for the cover of entries runs out of space when I was looking at adding the national anthem information for Winter Events (DDR Menu). I managed to get five into the 250 char space, but not the remaining five that still need to be added.

Interestingly, the DDR anthem Auferstanden aus Ruinen by Hans Eisler was also found as a hidden unused national anthem on the menu of Epyx's The Games: Summer Edition on the C64.

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-11-18
17:07:14

Waz thanks for your nice additions! Now let's all of us converge into an agreed format for title/author/album stuff grin

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-11-20
17:49:11

Nice list! Though I do not hear the connection between Shannon and the Lotus2, but I have no education in musics.

An other question:
I know there are literally thousands of SID musics, but maybe it would be great to add, what SID musics used in a converted format at different releases, or demos. (I mean the original author and the SID music itself). Very frequently it was told, that music is ripped from C64...
It would be interesting to listen to the original one too.

Like Into the Eagles Nest intro music, or Barbarians, Lancer Lord into musics, Genesis Project demo...

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-11-20
23:05:11

Nice ones... And nice work from Luca and the others in providing all these clean rips of tunes..

Totally Offtopic:
Listening to the Youtube from MIK.. Before all this Lockdown stuff, around 2 or even more years ago, I was part of a Berlin Clique with several DJs (several gigs in for instance in Berghain included) in it. All in all it where at least around 100 persons, mostly women. The track up there was played several times in bigger Berlin discotheques and it was really fun to listen / dance to these kinds of music from the eightees, in sets of mostly modern house / techno tracks.. Brings back good memories, thanks!

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-11-21
03:21:37

@MMS Play the Shannon vid from the start to 18seconds just to get the tune in you head, (her voice). Now fast forward the Lotus2 vid to 24seconds and play from there. Don't look for a note perfect match, instead listen to how it sounds similar, and when Shannon goes in to a small break the Lotus tune plays in the same key but a whole octave lower.

@MAD Very true, the ladies today love a bit of the 1980's on the dance floor. happy
The 80's is the best era for music for me, and we'll allow the year 1990 into the mix as half that years pop music was composed in 1989. wink

Posted By

Lavina
on 2021-11-21
05:31:26

My 2 cents here would be A-07 where I added the "original" music (Kraftwerk) in the description of the game page. If I remember correctly, I was the first to catch this one back then. happy

Another interesting thing to mention here is Sqij where not the ingame music is to be remembered but the free audio track on the cassette. happy As far as I know this is the only plus4 related soundtrack of this kind.

It would be really nice to clean up the original version a bit, as it's unfortunately quite noisy with background noise and originally an overall surprisingly low quality recording. Of course we would/should keep the original but have an improved version as well.

Someone with editing skills could give it a try. Also, I would very much appreciate if we would have a lyrics on record as I don't understand a word :)

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-11-21
12:41:52

Waz, I updated the database and you should be able to enter much longer strings into the CoverOf column.

Similarly to Sqij!, Splitz and Hercules also contains free audio (same band, called H.E.X).

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-11-21
15:23:48

@MIK: thanks for the hint. The bass is really similar in rythm, while the sample is different. I feel the drum is really different.
The voice of Shannon is distracting me a little to do a proper comparison happy
(TBH her voice it too soft compared to the one I usually listen, like Arch enemy :-D )

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-11-21
21:44:22

Off topic:

@ MMS, Arch Enemy haha!, reminds me of watching the 2001 movie Triple X (xXx) and a track called Rammstein - Feuer Frei! started banging/playing, loved it. grin

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024