Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

somguy
on 2021-09-07
09:18:29
 PETSCII robots Plus 4 - whats necessary to make a port?

In latest 8BitGuy video it looks like Plus/4 still has no port of PETSCII Robots and seem he is not interested in making it himself.

Seems to me most of the screen stuff would be easy to port, and the big challenge would be to have someone code up routines to get simple music / sound translated to the TED.

Has anyone contacted him for the source code so this community can take a stab at making a port?

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-09-07
13:16:12
 Re: PETSCII robots Plus 4 - whats necessary to make a port?

Hmmm, I know it could be a tricky.

Maybe you may choose the easy way, and keep the SID routines, and just change the base address of the SID to the SID Card. In this way it will have no sound on TED, just on Sidcard. I knew it is blasphemy, but could make the first versioin to work.
I think most of the 264 scene already has a SID card (or just ordering it happy ) and the SID card if fully emulated in YAPE and Plus4emu (probably in VICE too).

A little more complex approach is the SID emulation in FRQ conversion also possible,if you listen to Musics from C64 from Pigmy or some MB intros in their games (Head Over, Lancer Lords, Into the...), these conversions are quite acceptable.
AFAIK they let the SID music playback run, and convert the frequencies from the SID register addresses into the TED registers on the fly, in the background... What an achievement it was... But I am not an expert to tell, if it is THAT easy.

Digi SID conversion on the fly is also possible, but very CPU intensive, sonot suggested for games.

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-09-07
13:51:28

We discussed with David Murray about a Plus/4 version, he had included it too, lately he decided about not porting the game yet...

Posted By

Fonsis
on 2021-10-08
04:12:17

Regarding PETCSII robots on Plus/4, watch this video from David at timestamp 6:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaXzv7TM5T8

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-10-13
06:49:32

FYI, David Murray has posted a video of an almost complete Plus/4 version of Attack of the PETSCII Robots.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-10-13
08:24:15

Can you post the link?

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-10-13
11:06:27

Csabo heh, nope, it's a strangely shared video on Facebook Watch, probably due some weird privacy options: I tried and failed, I also had some troubles in sharing it straight on FB, nonetheless I've been able to spread the news on the Plus/4 World Showcase FB group only by roughly copypaste the video URL. Btw, those cases are one of the main reasons why at that time had to put up a Facebook group which refers to Plus/4 World and acts as a mere showcase in order to keep the users' attention here, and not there...

This is the original link: https://www.facebook.com/663385961/videos/910125716255165/

EDIT: captured and edited some pictures from the video, here they are.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-10-15
08:10:27

Looks great! (Hmm, no scoring though... wink )

Posted By

Verona
on 2021-10-15
08:45:05

Luca : The FB link is private. How can I see it?

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-10-15
09:46:04

Verona:...and that's the reason why I updated the post with some pictures of it happy He posted it on a private group.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-11-11
16:27:20

New video out today, apparently you can now buy this game for 10-50 USD.

To quote The 8-Bit Guy:

"I can honestly say this is one of the best Plus/4 games ever made."

Posted By

GeTE
on 2021-11-12
03:55:48

Well, David did it with his label too - like TFW8b before - but when exactly PINK became the color for our 264 machines?!

Posted By

javierglez
on 2021-11-12
20:17:46

I don't know if it's one of the best for the Plus/4, but the C128 version I bet it is, for the C128.

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-11-13
16:01:03

The C128 version looks really like the best game on C128. However I remember just one demo for that machine "into oblivion" I think it was done by Crest and Oxyron. I think maybe there are just 1 or 2 other real C128 games, too. I know some guys here in Berlin doing VDC demo stuff at the moment, maybe this rather cool machine gets some more attention then.

The graphician did a great job on the C128 and the multi monitor thingy is also very nice. Funny that they do port it to all these machines including some of the great consoles... Very nice to see.

Posted By

Stinaris
on 2021-12-03
06:04:04

Best game on the Plus/4? Ease that ego down a couple of notches there David!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024