Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-07-29
10:31:17
 Bil Herd's book

Ladies, Gentlemen, the ancient sport of building up myth and fantasies about the TED is running straight toward an end: Back into the Storm, the book (also) about the TED, written by Bil Herd is out today.

Posted By

Doug
on 2021-07-29
16:31:44
 Re: Bil Herd's book

My copy is on its way!

Posted By

aNdy/Cosine
on 2021-07-30
05:28:45

Thanks for the head's up! Will order a kindle copy when I get home!

Posted By

TLC
on 2021-08-04
14:58:43

"
Monday, August 2
4:47 AM
Package has left an Amazon facility.
San Bernardino, California US
"
grin

Posted By

Doug
on 2021-08-04
15:29:43

I finished it over the weekend. A fascinating insight into CBM and Bil. A lot of it rang true from my experiences of tech companies in the US in the 80s and 90s. I never got to the point of sleeping under the desk, but not far off!

Reading about the intracompany fighting and random mad decision making it seems like a miracle they ever shipped anything.

It's really funny how so many tech companies get so dependant on a few key individuals, whilst employing ever growing numbers of useless managers. Never ceases to amaze me.

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-08-04
15:56:52

@Doug: I worked in a lot of game companies in Germany (just from later 90s onwards).. Just want to tell a funny thing, even it has nothing to do with Bil or the book.

In one company they fired every engineer and left the whole management staying completely employed.

I mean the company died halve a year later, from what I know, but I didn't really understand how they want to live only with management? I got the theory that these people also need something to live on this planet so my assumption is that these 90% of management overhead in companies is somehow "justified", these people also have to live on this planet and earn something for that. But back then I really didn't understood how a game company without programmers should work out.. But somehow it must have make sense for someone..

Have to read the book, though..

edit: Maybe that "only management approach" is also in the book.. Have to really read it.. :)

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-08-04
16:45:41

Being a middle man just sat on the phone doing deals and taking a cut is another way management keep the money rolling in. If a company is about to go down they normally run off with the highly valuable Bible of contacts before people even realise they have gone. It's a 'Them' and 'Us', if you get your hands dirty your an 'Us'. wink

Posted By

siz
on 2021-08-05
03:20:27

@TLC: Why ordering from US? :O I've just ordered it from Amazon.de. This way I pay less for shipping and avoid paying customs and taxes.

Posted By

TLC
on 2021-08-05
05:01:03

@siz : at the time I think I did look it up on amazon.de, but, it was not available (yet?).

Posted By

carrion
on 2021-08-05
08:17:59

Im tempted to buy it and have in my retro bookshelf, but...

Ffew days ago I finished (finally) Brian Bagnal's: "Commodore - The Amiga Years", and now I'm half way through "Commodore - The final years". Really good read - highly recommend 3 books from Brian.

I wonder how much more information is there in Bil's book? I'm pretty much aware this book is his personal view but is there more than he already shared on web?
Just curious.

Anyway. I will probably buy it to have it in my collection.
oh and I still have UK's David Pleasance book to read. happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-08-07
12:54:23

@siz I didn't realize you could do that, nice one as it's half the price it was originally in the USA, and I just checked the USA link and it's now around $22, down from $35. Current UK price £17.50. Result! grin

Cool, was kinda put off by what the postage might of been from the USA to UK as it can be just as expensive as the item. Just ordered one off the UK side and it's free postage! :)

EDIT:

Many thanks Bil, it's just arrived and I'm really looking forward to having a read. Cheers!

I added a classic tape to the picture so people can get a sense of it's size. ;)

Posted By

Doug
on 2021-08-07
17:49:02

You'll enjoy the book MIK.
I've already lost my copy! Michele (one of my co-conspirators on The Pit) has borrowed it, and several other guys at work are queuing up for a borrow too!

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-08-07
18:13:28

Thanks. happy

Loved his video discussions so the book should be awesome, more time to pause and think, remembering even more and hopefully digging deeper than a video could ever do. grin

Posted By

Superglob
on 2021-08-14
00:25:27

Ordered! I'm a sucker for 8-bit history, especially when it comes from people who actually were there!

Posted By

RobertB
on 2021-08-23
16:41:20

I’ve just scanned the book, and I discovered it to be surprisingly enjoyable and easy to read! No stuffy pronouncements! Just an informative story of the days that Bil Herd was with Commodore. After listening to Bil speak at various engagements and in various videos, I found that the book filled in areas that were not covered in the past.

Below is a page listing of what the book emphasizes (not including the handy-dandy glossary at the book’s end):

Jack Tramiel – p. 12-15

TED computers (116, C16, Plus/4, 264, 364) – p. 20-49, 63-64, 72-74, 79-90, 93-94, 97-108, 116-119, 127

VIC-20 – p. 92

Commodore LCD – p. 119-126, 229, 254-255

C128 – p. 126-254, 257, 267-269

Amiga – p. 257

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group – http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network – http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
Nov. 6-7 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show 2021 – http://www.portcommodore.com/class

Posted By

Superglob
on 2021-08-26
20:31:44

I'm in about 25%. Before reading the book I always thought of Bill Herd as a cool, no-nonsense guy. Maybe it's the way it's written it but some of it comes across as somewhat arrogant. Might change my mind but yeah, that's my impression so far..

That doesn't take away from the fact that he's done incredible work under excruciating pressure and deadlines though happy

Posted By

RobertB
on 2021-09-10
17:23:29

A Hackaday review of the book is at

https://hackaday.com/2021/09/08/books-you-should-read-bil-herds-back-into-the-storm/

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group - http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network - http://www.portcommodore.com/sccan
Nov. 5-6 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show 2021 - http://www.portcommodore.com/class

Posted By

unclouded
on 2021-09-12
17:23:38

"..some of it comes across as somewhat arrogant.."

I see where you're coming from but I don't think that meshes with the gratitude he shows for having worked with such inspirational people. I get the feeling that he's just so high energy that he doesn't have time to stitch the anecdotes in to a coherent story because he's anxious to get on to the next thing.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024