Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-07-08
10:58:40
 Re: Looking for some suggestions of games from the classic European TED scene that we didn't get in

I was 12 when we received the C16 from our parents, and was kind of 15 when started to collect copied clones of games.

It was the period the "massive" game conversion started by some great coders, and from 1988 were were more than happy to see serious/legendary C64 games converted to our beloved platform. SID music was not evident at that time, Scala's first SID card dated to 1990, Solder's 1992. So at that time the best music were the FM converted SIDs, at leathg the rythm and some bass and drums, and partially the 3 channel was simulated. The spristed were converted with SW sprites, and ceratinly it required a good programmer to keep the original C64 games's speed and add all these background tasks to be executed.

I was not a scene member at that time, but I mcanadd some suggestions, some others may add more:
"-A list of unofficial (or semi-unofficial - they may have had a release of some kind) ports of classic titles" Certainly these converted games never had any official release, these kind ppl (kids) made it for fun and to support the platform. Definitely they generated hundreds of hours of fun for us with these titles :-D

The best to refer some super programmers or groups, whose 1988-1992 period is a great collection of such gems, some of these was pretty recent at that time.
These are almost all converted games:
Pigmy: mainly adventures, chess programs and simulators:
The Hobbit, Battle Chess, Bard's Tale III, Elite, Borrowed times, Tass Times, Ingrid's back, Knight Orc, Red moon, Revs, Flight Simulator II, Robin of Sherwood, Gremlins and a lot lot more
Crown: mainly adventures, next to tools: Twin Kingdom Valley, Waxworks,
MB group (go after Mucsi): Head Over Heels, Barbarian, Choplifter, Hollywood Poker Pro, Lancer Lords, Spy VS Spy and a lot more
TCFS: made several rewritten games, these were using the original gfx, but own code: Grand Prix Circuit, Hexenküche,
Bubbleworks, Cloud kingdoms, Blue Angel 69, Krakout, Speedball and a lot more
Csory: Elite, Uninvited, Jinxter, Magic Candle (huge RPG!), Fish! and some more
TGMS: Laser Squad, Dizzy3, Castle Master, Snowball, Supremacy

I am certainly left out some major programmers we know, but I was not familiar with their work back in the time end of 80, beginning of 90s (Csabo, Luca, Skora / Assissins, sorry if I left out anyone made converted games at that time).

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024