Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Retro Recollections
on 2021-07-06
07:27:56
 Looking for some suggestions of games from the classic European TED scene that we didn't get in the

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some opinions from those who have been in or grew up during the European TED scene. I enjoy exploring and doing video reviews of C16 / Plus/4 games as it was my childhood machine and I have very fond memories of it.

Since I discovered this wonderful website it has been a fantastic resource to find all the titles I missed out on and especially keeping up to date on new releases which seem to keep coming without end which is fantastic.

What I'm interested in right now is curating a couple of lists for future projects. The games catalogue is great but with 1000's of titles listed it can be difficult to find things sometimes.

I am fascinated with the huge popularity of the TED machines in Europe and the former Soviet Bloc. Here in the UK they lasted a little longer than they did in the US and we got a nice selection of games but nowhere near to what was being produced in Europe.

I am looking to curate two lists.

The first: A list of unofficial (or semi-unofficial - they may have had a release of some kind) ports of classic titles that other machines got back in the day such as the C64, Spectrum and Amstrad. Specifically, I am interested in games produced in the 80's and 90's and not "modern" productions.

The second: A list of great original games that never saw a release in the UK or US. These can be official releases or scene / homebrew releases but they need to be from the classic era, 80's and 90's.

I hope this wonderful community can help me with some ideas for these projects happy

Posted By

Retroshire
on 2021-07-08
04:43:53
 Re: Looking for some suggestions of games from the classic European TED scene that we didn't get in

Hi, nice to have you on the Plus/4 World forum. As European guy who grew up with a Commodore 16 in the 80's I could share some titles with you.

But a smarter thing to do is pointing at the 'Covers' menu of this webside. You can 'see' the game, read some information about date, country of origin, author and decide if it is apropriate to select.

Though I doubt about the idea that there are a lot of gametitles unknown in the UK, known in Europe.

Posted By

Retro Recollections
on 2021-07-08
05:50:24
 Re: Looking for some suggestions of games from the classic European TED scene that we didn't get in

Hi,

Believe me I spend a lot of time browsing the site and I have found and continue to find lots of gems this way. Just thought I’d tap into people’s experiences here for suggestions because I am sure there are many titles that I have overlooked and without testing everything I may miss them

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-07-08
10:58:40

I was 12 when we received the C16 from our parents, and was kind of 15 when started to collect copied clones of games.

It was the period the "massive" game conversion started by some great coders, and from 1988 were were more than happy to see serious/legendary C64 games converted to our beloved platform. SID music was not evident at that time, Scala's first SID card dated to 1990, Solder's 1992. So at that time the best music were the FM converted SIDs, at leathg the rythm and some bass and drums, and partially the 3 channel was simulated. The spristed were converted with SW sprites, and ceratinly it required a good programmer to keep the original C64 games's speed and add all these background tasks to be executed.

I was not a scene member at that time, but I mcanadd some suggestions, some others may add more:
"-A list of unofficial (or semi-unofficial - they may have had a release of some kind) ports of classic titles" Certainly these converted games never had any official release, these kind ppl (kids) made it for fun and to support the platform. Definitely they generated hundreds of hours of fun for us with these titles :-D

The best to refer some super programmers or groups, whose 1988-1992 period is a great collection of such gems, some of these was pretty recent at that time.
These are almost all converted games:
Pigmy: mainly adventures, chess programs and simulators:
The Hobbit, Battle Chess, Bard's Tale III, Elite, Borrowed times, Tass Times, Ingrid's back, Knight Orc, Red moon, Revs, Flight Simulator II, Robin of Sherwood, Gremlins and a lot lot more
Crown: mainly adventures, next to tools: Twin Kingdom Valley, Waxworks,
MB group (go after Mucsi): Head Over Heels, Barbarian, Choplifter, Hollywood Poker Pro, Lancer Lords, Spy VS Spy and a lot more
TCFS: made several rewritten games, these were using the original gfx, but own code: Grand Prix Circuit, Hexenküche,
Bubbleworks, Cloud kingdoms, Blue Angel 69, Krakout, Speedball and a lot more
Csory: Elite, Uninvited, Jinxter, Magic Candle (huge RPG!), Fish! and some more
TGMS: Laser Squad, Dizzy3, Castle Master, Snowball, Supremacy

I am certainly left out some major programmers we know, but I was not familiar with their work back in the time end of 80, beginning of 90s (Csabo, Luca, Skora / Assissins, sorry if I left out anyone made converted games at that time).

Posted By

Retro Recollections
on 2021-08-12
06:51:02

@MMS thanks for the insights, this is very useful! happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024