Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-05-27
 PC->Plus/4 trasfer without spec. cable!

Hi!

My PC-1541 cable is wrong now and I had to find another way to transfer my stuff to the plus4. And I've found one!
There is a tool that can generate a .wav file from a .prg! I used this, recorded the wav to tape and loaded it successfuly from the Plus/4! I only had to pay attention to the recording volume. Here it is:

ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/cbm/crossplatform/transfer/datassette/cbmtt101.zip

Be carefull, you have to choose c16/+4 encoding, it is not the default!

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-05-27
 turbo

Anyway, the following stuff can create .voc from a CCS64 .tap file.

ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/cbm/crossplatform/transfer/datassette/64utils.zip

Is there any Plus/4 emu that uses this format? If yes than any turbo tape loader would be usable too! happy

Posted By

someone
on 2003-05-27
 This could be even more simple

if you have an adapter cassette like for car audio (normally used to connect a portable CD player to every standard car radio cassette player). Insert the adapter into your datasette and connect the adapter's cable to your soundcard's headphones output. Now you can transfer the WAV files directly without any tape handling...

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-05-27
 Re: PC->Plus/4 trasfer without spec. cable!

TAP is supported in Yape. You can actually record your program to a TAP with a turbo in the emulator. I have a small unreleased tool (written in C) that makes it possible to convert a plus/4 TAP into WAV. Shall I release it? When I asked about it the last time, nobody seemed to be interested.

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-05-27
 Re: converter

Well, I'm interested! happy

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-05-27
 Yape 0.47 and tape

Doesn't seem to work.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-05-27
 Re: bubis

Could you elaborate on the problem? Did you load the turbo and the program? What turbo did you use? Did you press SHIFT+F6 (RECORD) in Yape? Did it save at all? Or it just did not load back?

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-05-27
 Yape and TAP

There's a bug in YAPE that causes wholewave recorded TAPs to be saved with 20 bytes missing from the end of the file, which prevents turbo-saved programs from loading (and sometimes normally-saved programs), and causes "File size doesn't match header" errors in PTAP.

I'm not sure if halfwave recorded TAPs have the same problem. They seem to load properly, but PTAP won't check the file size as it doesn't support halfwave TAPs.

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-05-27

To use C64SAVE to make wav files, you need to change the encoding, but how would you do this in DOS? If this program works, it would be fantastic.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-05-27
 Re: Yape vs TAP vs TAP2WAV

OK, bubis is going to test my unreleased TAP2WAV tool. It is partially based on PTAP (hence it'll be GPL as well) and also supports other Commodore machines. It has halfwave support, too.

Spector: what is this C64SAVE you're talking about? I'm interested although it's not clear to me what you meant.

Ulysses777: what is actually buggy is that Yape does not calculate a correct TAP data size (the size of header should be deducted and that's exactly 20 bytes: that's what PTAP is missing). I'm going to have a look at the problem in the next few days.

All in all: sorry for the bugs. I could never imagine that people are actually really wanting to use TAP saving! happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-05-27

The CD car adaptor is a sweet idea. You could record all your wav taps as audio on to a CD. CD loading on Plus/4 and the perect backup of your tapes wink

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-05-28

When I mentioned C64SAVE, I was tlaking about the instructions in the readme file that came with the tool bubis mentioned when he started this topic, I quote:

"C64SAVE can save program files to TAP files.

e.g. C64SAVE game.prg -ot c:game.tap

When you have selected the program you want for writing to tape you have
the opportunity to make changes to certain settings.
This includes: filename, load address and signal encoding.
The default signal encoding is set to the C64. If you want to save files to
a different machine e.g. VIC20 with Turbo Tape VIC encoding then this option
needs selecting.

C64SAVE supports the following encoding:

- C64
- TURBO TAPE 64 - handles ($0400 - $CFFF)
- VIC20
- TURBO TAPE VIC
- PET
- C16/+4"

It seems a little complex to me, as I'm not the biggest DOS user.

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-05-28
 Re: c64save

Attila: C64SAVE is the save prog in the CBM Tape Tools I mentioned.

Spector: Using C64SAVE you will get the question:

CHANGE SETTINGS (Y/N) ?

Say y(es) and than:

CHANGE FILENAME (Y/N) ?n

CHANGE START ADDRESS (Y/N) ?n

CHANGE SIGNAL ENCODING (Y/N) ?y

1 - C64, 2 - VIC20, 3 - PET, 4 - C16/+4 ?4

You get it!

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-05-29

Ta, Bubis - I'm going to try this next week.

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-06-03

I had a go at this and it does seem to work. But is there anyway to use a turboload with these files, as they are all 6-8 minutes long?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024