Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

robinsonb5
on 2021-05-18
18:23:38
 Production which makes use of TED and SID simultaneously?

Hi,

Does anyone know of any music productions which use TED and a SID card simultaneously?
(I'm tinkering with the C16/Plus-4 FPGA core at the moment, trying to get the audio properly balanced but I'd really like to hear the two chips running in tandem to make sure the overall output level's about right.)

Thanks for any pointers.

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-05-18
18:24:47
 Re: Production which makes use of TED and SID simultaneously?

XeO3.

You give me a chance to add a particular about it and talk about a different matter. The in-game music is heavily inspired by the song "Il ballo del potere", performed by Franco Battiato, pioneer of all genres of known music, movie and theater director, passed away just today. This sad event has shocked the entire Italian nation, and me in particular, 'coz his music has accompanied my life since I was a child. And it'll be the same now and ever. Rest in peace, Maestro.

Posted By

robinsonb5
on 2021-05-19
04:38:51

Thanks for the pointer - XeO3 looks really cool, and soundwise it's a very useful testcase.

Sorry to hear about Franco Battiato - that's sad news indeed. I wasn't directly familiar with his work, though I'm sure I'll have heard some of it somewhere along the line, not realising what it was. I've just listened to the piece you named, and yes, I can certainly hear the influence in XeO3's music.

XeO3 uses SID for music and TED for sound effects, yes?
Are you aware of anyone having used the two chips in tandem to create 5-channel music?

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-05-19
05:51:58

Nope, nobody yet happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-05-19
07:47:43

Yes, Uncertain Future features music with 2 channels TED and 2 channels SID. The SID channels only play the bassdrum, to give the TED a little boost.

The big drawback with this is that the SID is much softer than the TED, to play music at roughly equivalent value, the TED has to be played at VOL 3.

Our group's first megademo (Megadoom, which is in the works since '92 happy) features a part which makes extensive use of this, as well as some other variants (3 SID + 1 TED digi, etc). Probably won't be completed... ever. But you guys aren't missing out on much TBH.

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-05-19
09:19:37

Csabo ah wow didn't kno that Uncertain Future uses SID, checked the related effects' list and didn't find the usual SID support... surprised

Posted By

Chronos
on 2021-05-19
11:26:14

Luca: Yeah, we did not advertise this feature because it is experimental grin

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-05-19
11:35:02

It's noted in HVTC though.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2021-05-19
14:01:40

It may be another idea asking BSZ about his experiences in adjusting the amp in NSTs Audio Extension V2.0.

Posted By

robinsonb5
on 2021-05-19
14:57:44

> The big drawback with this is that the SID is much softer than the TED, to play music at roughly equivalent value, the TED has to be played at VOL 3.

That's useful information - thanks. So I shouldn't be aiming to make the two chips' outputs roughly equal volume.

> It may be another idea asking BSZ about his experiences in adjusting the amp in NSTs Audio Extension V2.0.

Wow - that's quite a piece of hardware, and the docs are really in-depth. Thanks for that.

C16/Plus-4 is looking like a much deeper and more interesting rabbithole than I was expecting!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024