Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-10-29
13:53:54
 Endless Summer In ECM Mode

Tropical ECMotionCold comes with Father Winter, but you're wishing the summer never ends? The Extended Color Mode (ECM) of your prefer 264 machine it's coming to save you today.

Tropical ECMotion is little more than a single, very simple, effect, created by Luca/FIRE in order to test his personal ECM editor. The opportunity to participate in the CSDb's ECM Mode Demoeffect Competition prompted him to convert it to C64, hence now we have a twin release C64/C16 (the demo fits under 16kB), playing a new dedicated SID tune – wow, after just 14 years since the last one Luca did! – waiting for the forthcoming new batch of SIDcards. Of course, TLC's MConv V1.6 is here, providing TEDsound playback too, but his best contribution to this production it is undoubtedly the feature of the SIDwinder V01.23 packer that allows you to change the register base of the SID of your music.

Summer is far to come, but we, professional vacationers of idleness on the bECMh, are already getting ready.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2020-10-29
13:53:54
 Re: Endless Summer In ECM Mode

Great!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2020-10-29
13:55:19

Nice release! The fade + wave intro in the beginning is cool.

Posted By

Patrick
on 2020-10-30
14:04:20

i like the black and white FIRE logo!

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-10-30
19:37:34

Great release! The effect and the music fit perfectly.

(still I think ECM mode is great and we need an ECM with kind of standardized PETSCII charset, it has great potentials. I was was already mocked for that idea in the past, but I usually do not give up happy )

Posted By

aNdy/Cosine
on 2020-10-31
12:46:21

Great stuff! Love the TED version of the SID tune too!

Posted By

Mad
on 2020-10-31
20:53:55

Luca did it again! Nice code n tune(s)! happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-11-01
08:47:23

Thank you all for the kind words mates happy Please cast a vote here and on the other sites if you've liked it (actually, vote if you didn't like it, too, vote in general wink ).

First came the effect, derivated from my ECM HUE turning plasma part in Crackers' Demo 5 (apropos, are we that far from CD6?); after a long storing time, I wanted to add some bits of static gfx to it using the same 64 ECM dither chars, so I coded my own ECM gfx editor. The whole stuff has been then put on a hiatus , until the chance of the fitting C64 compo appeared.

The C64 version doesn't have sprites, or vertical border counterplasma or further addons, in order to match the spirit of the compo.
The 264 version fitted within the C16 memory though including both TED converter and music, and this can be possible only thank to TLC's SIDwinder V01.23, because its packer allows to change the SID registers' address for your tune: Mconv V1.6 doesn't work with $FD40 SIDcard music but one can change the SID register address in the source code, and this saves the memory corrupution of a C16 code due writing SID stuff at $1400-$1418. Although the former idea was to have a proper TED tune, the challenge to fulfill the memory and the good playback of the converted SID has moved me to reuse the same for both.

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-06-04
12:16:27

@Luca Sorry, where should I load my own fontset for the ECM deditor? happy THX!

Posted By

Luca
on 2023-06-04
18:56:24

@MMS the source says: $2000-$21FF,

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024