Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2020-09-12
09:16:24
 Treasure Island Dizzy

Following on from the first game, here is Treasure Island Dizzy for the Plus/4 happy Like the previous conversion, this is based on the Spectrum version.

Although a somewhat shorter game than the first, this is countered by only having one life, but there is an invulnerability mode if desired happy

Enjoy happy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4tta3gi8sld2kr/treasure_island_dizzy.prg?dl=1

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-09-12
09:52:51
 Re: Treasure Island Dizzy

Yaaas! Btw, talk to me about the music there...

Posted By

RĂ¼diger
on 2020-09-12
10:58:46

Great work!

Can we now wait for Dizzy 5?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2020-09-12
13:26:44

Awesome stuff!

How do you get started in this? I found an empty chest, but Dizzy dies when I go into the water. I couldn't find anything else to do.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2020-09-12
13:54:51

"The old chest makes a good step in the right place..." wink

Posted By

PaulK
on 2020-09-12
17:56:51

Wow, well done. It even has the speech

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-09-12
17:58:28

Yeeah, very nice release, thank you!

I could reach the point where I am ....ed. No spoilers grin

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-09-13
07:05:11

Ulysses777 this great conversion comes straight from the ZX Spectrum 128 original, with the music by David Whittaker, highlighting the different approach compared to the classic conversions of TGMS, obviously possible thanks to modern tools.

As I hastily reported in the first few minutes of the official release, for me the most interesting thing here is the conversion of the original music (including the digitized speech!): Did you do everything from scratch, or were you able to use part of the original sources? The music has a much higher quality than your previous productions, do you use a proprietary player?
Oh, by the way: the HVTC thanks you very much for the help text (with a little wrong value) happy

BTW, in the game you have to be gentle with fire button in order to read the scrolls you find along your path, is it the same in the original game too?

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2020-09-13
07:29:36

The music player is Knaecketraecker, slightly tweaked for multiple track switching, with the music redone from scratch, although I did convert the original AY/YM tracks to MIDI to examine them more easily.

The digitised speech data, on the other hand, was lifted straight out of the Spectrum version unchanged. happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-09-13
07:56:53

Ulysses777 ...and it's a 2x player, right? That means you've tweaked and fixed Knaecketracker's code by yourself, in the same way Doug did, right? Did you circumvent the KnaeckePlayer's bug which doesn't take the music to correctly re-iniitialize?

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-09-13
09:28:08

Well, actually I knew the C64 version's music from Matt Gray, collected into the best SID music's library I have.
as I listened the +4 version's music, I noticed I miss some melodies from the music I know, but it is clear (after listening to David Whittakers' ZX 128K version), that it is a very faithful conversion.

(BTW could be a hack for the SID card owners too? Sorry for the question, I know it is not nice to come up with such ideas/demands)

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2020-09-13
08:52:04

Luca, it was turned down to 1x for this game. As for the initialization problems, I fixed it by writing zero to kp_tickstonextbeat and kp_beatstonextpattern in the init routine. At least, it appears to be working happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-09-14
02:37:18

Wow, the game gained a terrible feedback everywhere (check the numerous link on Twitter or example), so my curiosity has taken me to check how many visits the entry page has got in few dozens hours, and it says, at this moment, over 500 :O

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-09-14
11:31:03

Actually the game runs pretty well. It has music, sound effect, and fluid gameplay.

I do not really understand what is their problem.
Maybe these guys also need some help with the chest too happy

Posted By

Mad
on 2020-09-14
14:25:24

Awesome! I didn't found bad (terrible) feedback on the net (Twitter), they all say it's good here.. Perhaps not the "most advanced accounts" connected here..

I was bothering about the color clash issues.. If there is memory and the game is in charset mode (and only bottom "8"colors of the "16" colors used), perhaps it would be somehow possible to make dizzy consisting of multicolored chars, but !!just!! the chars on the places where he overlaps other stuff. Dunno, perhaps to much of a hazzle, but the color "clash" stuff was the only minor bad stuff I found mentioned on the net.. There could be used a simple table to convert between hires and multicolor.. But dunno perhaps that would look bad, dunno just an idea.. happy

Anyways awesome conversion, who would have thought that such a precise port is possible with those very different two processor architectures.. The color stuff is not an issue at all, btw.. Nice that you did this rather perfect port!

Nice trick with the music player reset! :) If it works it spares many bytes!

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-09-14
14:19:06

I also quickly checked the Twitter, and mostly positive feedback and a lot of likes.
Some ppl mention color clash, but hey, it is hires and no HW sprite. I think it is pretty good.
It grants a good score from me! happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-09-14
15:41:15

Err... grin probably it's my fault: here "terrible" would have meant "extremely good", sorry for the misunderstanding...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2020-09-14
15:43:28

You probably meant "terrific"?

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-09-14
17:35:23

Yes "terrific" was the regular way, sorry for having forced in a slang of my own.

Posted By

Retro Recollections
on 2020-09-15
11:33:37

I shall be taking a look at this in due course. Fantastic @Ulysses777

Posted By

Retro Recollections
on 2020-09-22
12:17:31

Love it Dave, here is my humble review.

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-09-24
14:19:38

Great review! Really enjoyed it.

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-09-27
08:30:20

Ulysses777 oh well, after that the Oliver Twins have spent wonderful words about your Dizzy - The Ultimate Cartoon Adventure conversion, If I were you I would have already proposed myself as an honorary coder for the Plus/4 version of their incoming Wonderful Dizzy game wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024