Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Shaun_B
on 2020-08-16
17:45:00
 Help with a TED tune

Hello,

I'm making a game for the C16, in fact the game is made actually. Chris Snowden has tested it for me, and the feedback thus far is okay.

I need a short game-over tune and title tune if anyone is available to help please.

For full disclosure I work for Retro Games Ltd, the company behind TheC64 and Mini; don't believe the haters, it's a good company to work for and we are all just 8-bit fans really.

If anyone can help please email me:

shaun at retrogames dot biz

This *may* involve you signing an NDA for reasons I will discuss with you.

Many thanks in advance!

Posted By

Shaun_B
on 2020-08-16
18:17:18
 Re: Help with a TED tune

I should add that there is 3891 bytes to play with currently, although there will be fewer bytes if I implement the feature that my daughter has suggested.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2020-08-16
18:27:38

38xx bytes is plenty! You can check out my tune here, it's short, but decent and the entire thing is less than 400 bytes.

A full-blown version of my player is here in Pac-Pac; while I don't think this is necessarily my best work, the music got a lot of praise. It's just over 3000 bytes (and includes sound effects).

I would have considered helping out, but as soon as I read the part about the NDA I already have a sour taste in my mouth :-/

Posted By

Shaun_B
on 2020-08-16
18:36:19

Hi Csabo,

Regarding the NDA - we could do a non-NDA thing but that would mean that I'd have to obfuscate certain parts of the game for anyone wanting to help out. That's not a problem, I can obscure certain things within the game and it won't change anything in the game play so any potential musician will get a flavour of the sort of tune to go with the game.

But being involved with the retro community for a long time (I started writing for Micro Mart in January 2002 and was first published in February 2002, and spend over 12 years writing and following the retro scene) I need to know that I can trust people. RGL has the same philosophy. I already know some of the people I can't trust, who I won't mention here, but are associated with the ZX Spectrum and Commodore C64 scenes.

I hope that provides you with some reassurance.

Regards,

Shaun.

Posted By

Shaun_B
on 2020-08-16
18:44:27

Also an aside - a non-NDA agreement will mean that I can't really discuss anything about the game that I made beyond what the obvious - i.e., what you can see by loading it.

Posted By

Shaun_B
on 2020-08-17
06:31:08

Hi Csabo,

Let's try it this way then. For you or anyone with the skills to make TED music and is interested in helping out, please download and play this game for the Commodore C64 (CSDB release ID 178074) a game called PET Snake.

The game I've made is based upon this, though I think the C16 version is better. But for the C16 I would like a short "game over" tune and title tune. Once the game is released I will then be able to speak about the release and any potential reward that I could offer for being part of the release. Doing it this way completely negates the need for a non-disclosure agreement. Of course, this also means that you won't be able to play the C16 version until it's released, so you won't be able to check for yourself the quality of the game that you're making the music for.

Many thanks,

Shaun.

Posted By

Shaun_B
on 2020-08-17
15:58:41

Csabo has decided to help what a hero!

Many thanks. Case closed until release.

Posted By

Luca
on 2020-08-18