Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

retroscener
on 2020-07-28
09:11:45
 YapeSDL with Raspberry Pi / RetroPie

I have a raspberry pi 3B+ bartop arcade cabinet and wish to install YapeSDL to it, as VICE just doesn't quite cut it for me. Kikstart runs extremely slowly on it and all C16/Plus4 games are put in the C64 menu instead.

So I have been following this guide:
https://ramokromok.com/features/adding-commodore-plus-4-emulators-yape-and-vice-to-retropie
I had to make an account with them as I had to put in a username and password also which isn't meantioned in these instructions.

But I cannot get past the first stage to even download it, it says that the repository is not found.

Any help to get this running is appreciated guys.

EDIT: Turns out I slightly misspelled the address, and for that I didn't need to put in my account details. Doh! Well, the first part is done. Will update you how I get on.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2020-07-26
20:35:14
 Re: YapeSDL with Raspberry Pi / RetroPie

New problem.

There isn't an "es_systems.cfg" file in the configs emulationstation directory nor anywhere else it seems, may be some new retropie update which no longer requires it. I tried adding a new file in the directory with just the plus4 configs but the system crashed on reboot telling me it has not been setup or is invalid, adding that I need to do this by hand (duh), so had to remove the new file.

Now what do I do?

Edit: Located the file. It is now located in a lower directory inaccessible through the PC Windows Explorer link-up method as it doesn't share all directories. Well, I was able to access it through its own linux file manager and edit in the code needed to run the emulator.

Edit: Finally installed the emulator. It works. Kikstart runs extremely smoothly on this unlike with Vice which kept on juddering every half second. I can play the game with the joystick and navigate through the emulator options.

Edit: Well, finally figured it, I think. It all works now including the game joystick controls. The settings menu up/down works via the arcade cabinet buttons yet you cannot select or go back without using the keyboard. Strange. Must be a slight misconfiguration somewhere. Worst of all though there is no exit emulator button in the first main menu to quit the game and return to the retropie menu, which is a bit of a nonsense nuisance for a retropie arcade cabinet. Arrrrgh!

Edit: It also includes an option to switch to Commodore 64 mode. What the heck?, lol.

I've just uploaded a video.

Edit: Turns out it's F12 on the keyboard to exit the emulator, finally found it on my odd little keyboard and managed to exit. Phew! But is it so tricky to include the option in the first menu too? That way, I wouldn't really need the keyboard at all for certain games. Well at least it's better than using Vice. Now I need a rest, lol.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2020-07-26
18:19:14
 Re: Adding YAPE to raspberry pi / Retropie

Hey Baz, thanks for taking the effort to try yapeSDL! I haven't seen it on the Retropie yet, although I have heard that people managed to compile it. Your feedback is very useful, I'll probably add the exit option and check the controller/keypad buttons layout once again.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2020-07-26
20:39:36

Ah brilliant news, and you’re welcome. The less need for the keyboard the better. It’s fully working for me now as it is but a proper exit button as well as full navigation via the controller & buttons would make it just about perfect. It’s definitely preferable to having to use VICE happy

I will be adding more games which doesn’t need the keyboard as times go by. It’s a real chore as it also means adding the game covers and possibly intro videos and game information on the game menu manually too as the retropie scraper doesn’t seem to support the 264 series yet. As you can see in the video, it scraped the C64 version which I’ve now fully corrected manually. I will likely upload another video sometime here. One day I may release a retropie build of it for others.

What’s with the switchable C64 mode btw? First time I ever saw it with YAPE.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2020-07-28
10:32:25

Well, since I had almost all of the components already in yapeSDL (CPU, drive, SID...) and the TED is somewhat resembling the VIC-II, I thought what the heck... so I implemented an almost complete C64 emulation. Actually it can run most games just fine and even some demos.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2020-07-28
17:55:14

A little bit more feedback. I installed Ikari Warriors to test the two player mode. It works fine, but the joystick ports are reversed, so player two uses the player one stick on my cabinet. All one player games requires the second stick. I don't think it's my cabinet as all other installed system emulators are the right way around. I first suspected this as all the single player games I play require I use the second joystick only. I wasn't sure if this was down to the coder's joyport preference. Maybe adding a switch port option would suffice.

Also, possibly a feature such as for keyboard only games to allow you to define different joystick keysets, which would be handy. I cannot play Punchy nor Galaxions right now for instance. Right now these can only be played via the USB keyboard. But of course there would have to be different keysets for different games. Perhaps they could all be saved in one single configuration file list for all added games.

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-07-28
15:37:13

Little OFF:
if anyone in 1984 would have told that the C16 will become once a serious arcade machine, LOL...

Posted By

Mad
on 2020-07-28
16:00:52

Wow this project is extremely awesome! Cool to see that Arcade machine working! happy

Posted By

retroscener
on 2020-07-28
17:29:45

Give me time and the C16 & Plus/4 is going to make a great little arcade cabinet, lol. I plan to add short game video intros on each game I add also. I will upload a full video of it in action when I feel it is ready enough, and hopefully release a full build of it. Might tempt some of you to build your own retropie cabinet wink

Games such as Pets Rescue which has the save-score ability won't save in yapeSDL after I exited and rerun the game for some reason, no matter if true drive emulation was on or off.

@Mad
Regardless, your games such as Pets Rescue and The Lands Of Zador are truly made for an arcade cabinet. They look, sound, feel and play awesome on them. I don’t think I can play them any other way now.

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-07-28
17:41:21

Thank you for the efforts and the offer. It is a really nice project. happy

(my comment was (to make it clear): this platform initially got a lot of critics due to missing HW sprites, and too weak sound HW).
They would be very surprised with that arcade setup and some of the latest games combo :-).

Posted By

retroscener
on 2020-07-29
02:02:38

Thank you MMS.

I am wondering after reading a thread just now on Lemon64 about the BMC64 emulator (link to topic), that it doesn’t yet support writing to an SD card, which is the raspberry pi main storage system. Could this possibly be the same for yapeSDL, which is why high scores won’t save to disk?

Posted By

Gaia
on 2020-07-30
16:56:04

@Baz: no, because the BMC64 is running in realtime mode and yapeSDL is not. I don't know the Pi at all but could it be that the user folder write protected? Is there a console window showing up at all (it is from WIndows but you get the idea)? What's in there? It should show something like this:

Yape/SDL 0.70.2
Home directory is C:\Users\Attila\AppData\Roaming\Gaia\yapeSDL\
Config file: C:\Users\Attila\AppData\Roaming\Gaia\yapeSDL\yape.conf

Posted By

retroscener
on 2020-07-30
19:45:31

@Gaia: I’m still pretty new to Pi myself. You could be right regarding file permissions. I will check again properly when I get some more free time and update you, probably on this post unless someone replies first. Thanks.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2020-08-01
05:42:43

I have good news happy Updated the code to have better gamepad control in the menu and re-enabled the 'Exit emulation' option (oops!) which was there all the time but it is a stupid error prone code from 20 years ago that got disabled accidentally. Will commit the changes soon, I believe you can just pull it right from github to get the changes, right?

Posted By

retroscener
on 2020-08-04
22:12:41

Good news indeed. Let us know when it's available to download and I will update you all on how I get on with it happy

Edit: I've just installed the new version. The "quit emulation" option indeed works. But now I cannot navigate up/down with the fire buttons to get there like I could before.

I can select an option with a control button, but not backwards out of it. So all in all, I'm using the USB keyboard more than ever now. Well, at least I am able to exit the emulator now without having to turn the cabinet power off by the wall plug, lol. That was a biggie.

Is it possible to be able to use the control stick to "fully" navigate the menus as well like with the cursor keys, like you can with VICE on the same platform? The stick works well enough with games. it's essential for a retropie cabinet. This is the only issue I am finding now.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2020-08-05
18:11:26

You've noticed it quickly happy Well, at least with my own controllers, you would have to navigate now with the left and right buttons on the D-PAD... but fire should also work to select items on the menu... strange!

Posted By

retroscener
on 2020-08-05
20:56:16

Yeah straight away as soon as I tried to move the stick on the menu and failed, lol.

The cabinet itself doesn’t have D-Pad functionality. I just tried a logitech controller with D-Pad in a spare USB port which I could have resorted to as an alternate third controller, but that doesn’t work for me at all for some reason. It’s not ideal for me anyway as wish to keep the cabinet’s classic arcade feel where I can. Would it be feasible to implement the control stick for the menu too? Or maybe if you can tell me which file to configure to maybe alter the menu control method from d-pad to control stick so to suit my needs happy

P.S. For some even stranger reason, the previous version allowed me to at least navigate just up and down on the menu with two of the six fire buttons on my cabinet (not left and right), but not anymore with the new version (although I can still select with one fire button) so am currently using my USB keyboard for full navigation of the menu for now. At least I can now exit the emulator with it though. But ideally would like to be able to just use the stick and a fire button for full navigation.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2020-08-07
09:10:28

Thanks for the report, it was important to know that there is no real D-PAD on the Retropie... happy so I guess its controller just sends analogue axis coordinates which is a bit trickier to handle in the menu system. I drafted a solution for it, so stay tuned for the GitHub update and let me know how it works pls.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2020-08-26
12:19:53

Hi Gaia

I just returned from my summer break yesterday evening, so just got around to installing the latest version. I can now happily confirm that the menu is now fully navigatable using the main control sticks, and so now fully compatible with RetroPie. Thanks very much for the fixes. A nice coming home present to return to. I can now concentrate more on building my C16/Plus4 library again

P.S. The only bug I have found is that for some reason if I select "Enter Monitor", nothing happens. It doesn't enter the monitor and totally hangs and freezes on the menu. The only way to exit is by switching the machine off and on again. For me this is minor as personally have no need to use it, and I'm unsure if this also affects other Linux based systems like it does on Raspberry Pi/RetroPie, but it may hold more relevance for others who use RetroPie.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024