Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-10-09
15:24:45
 Re: Best efforts to make +4 picture conversion

Thank you!

But as Chronos told: it was the fun part, the real work usually starts here happy

To prevent doublepost (eg, I cannot do it :-) ) an update with a different approach.
Maybe it is not the "best" scenery you can get, but shows the future potentials of the technology.

Currently if you want to gcreate a scene for your program, you draw it yourself, or "steal" a good picture somewhere from the internet, convert and edit it.
(worst case you just take it from C64 :-) )

With the latest technologies you may able to follow a different approach.
Maybe I mentioned beforehand NVidia GauGAN, but now the beta is available for trial (some function do not fully work).
http://nvidia-research-mingyuliu.com/gaugan

So I selected the scene type, created a scenery with mountain, hill, river, cloud, bushes.
After that the output picture saved, cut to 1.6:1 ratio, reduced to 32 or 64 color, used a Median filter and saved it with zero compression PNG.
(maybe worth to convert to 320x200 or 640x400 to help the converter)

This is the input for IstvanV's p4fliconv program.
Interestingely, only the dithering "eats" green color. They convert the green mostly into different grays. Interesting, as the +4 has so many green colors...

The final picture is rather dithered, if you do not see it on real monitor, or checked on emulator without CRT emulation.
So now the pictures, hopefully I can upload them all.

----------------------------------------------

2021-10-09
We just spoke about the Shadow Of The Beast death scene music.

I just watched the Amiga and C64 versions on YT with music and thought that the Plus/4 is much more capable to this task than the C64 (in gfx :-) ).

Here is the +4 conversion after some some finetuning in Multipaint (so it is pure multicolor picture):

Would be great to add the C64 SID music.

Input: Shadow Of The Beast death scene from Amiga (taken form HD YT video)
Conversion tool: p4fliconv, No dithering
Picture Format: multicolor, 320x200
Output: YAPE 1.1.0c with CRT Emu, Color: measured Hues

Original Amiga 500 version:

C64 version, but with some YT compression (I will try to find a better one):

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024