Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chronos
on 2020-05-20
14:59:19
 The Gilsoft Legacy

Gilsoft AdventuresIn our latest KiCHY Quill pack, we take a look at the work of Gilsoft, founded by Tim Gilberts, one of the most renowned English developers. Why is Gilsoft important/interesting? Mostly because they developed the adventure game editor called "The Quill" and "DAAD"! The system was ported to quite a few home computers after its release in 1983, exploding the text adventure game market. More than 450(!) games were released with this engine! But let's also look at the specific games we're presenting to you today. These are mostly games made and/or released by Gilsoft, namely: Africa Gardens, where in an abandoned hotel we have to figure out where the guests have gone; In Barsak the Dwarf we search for treasures lost with Barsak; In Devil's Island, we must escape from a prison island; We need to find a stolen diamond in the Diamond Trail; in the Mindbender a human brain gets under the control of a hypnotizing machine; in Sorcerer we have to recover the stolen scroll and orbs, in Spy-Plane you must you survive and complete a mission high in the sky over enemy territory; and in The Curse we have to break an Egyptian curse.

Have fun!

There's a lengthy article about Tim on Stefan Vogt's site, if you're even a little bit curious about this topic, it may be worth reading.

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-05-31
14:59:19
 Re: The Gilsoft Legacy

Great job done!

Just reading through the interview I noticed a picture, that Gilsoft's Gold releases are all arrived to our beloved platform!
These are legendary games from the most influential period of computer history. (AFAIS)

https://d3vv6lp55qjaqc.cloudfront.net/items/3J3b1A2P2e1q2R140a2Q/prodplate_goldcol.png

Posted By

Chronos
on 2020-05-31
15:26:48

Unfortunately "Magic Castle" is missing, thats why i don't call it the "Gold Collection". We cannot succeed to hunt it down, the game is exists but no one archived it sadly...

Posted By

Csabo
on 2020-05-31
16:49:09

Yep, as Chronos said. I mean... if some of you have too much time on your hands, you could ask around on some C64 forums to see if someone owns an actual copy.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2020-06-01
03:55:55

This? https://www.myabandonware.com/game/magic-castle-61x

Posted By

KiCHY
on 2020-06-01
05:17:46

Yeah, its name is ok, but the game is some kind of arcade game instead of a text adventure. Someone made a mistake and all the other sites "borrowed" it...

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2020-06-01
08:51:59

Whoa! Tough luck. Your best choice seems to be the Atari 8-bit version (http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-magic-castle_13850.html) as those are 6502 machines. Or the numerous sources of the ZX Spectrum version, but that course may be a tough ride being those computers quite different beasts compared to what we are used to.

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-06-01
16:12:59

gerliczer: great idea! Maybe in case of a text only adventure the differences are not so huge.

The main problem seems that someone released a Seuck game with the same name, and everyone overwrote the original archieves.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2020-06-02
07:56:43

Or there's a fairly recent (2012) conversion of the game for BBC Micro (http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=2844). Maybe the person who made the conversion can help with this project.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2020-06-02
13:04:07

Btw, tell me in all conscience, how many Kichy adventure played already? No cheating grin

Posted By

siz
on 2020-06-02
16:17:13

To be honest: none. And also none for the DAAD adventures (except for Hibernated 1 while converting DAAD). But for me that's true for all other games. I hoard them all (I mean buying them to support developers) but the disks were never in a disk drive. To play in emulator is not too tempting for me and I rarely have the time to turn on the real machine (albeit it's on right now - forgot to turn it off)

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-06-02
16:56:27

I started to play "Night of the walking dead" and "Death Valley, because I was impressed by the starting screens.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2020-06-04
00:02:41

@Chronos: None. Shame on me. I get bothered quickly when trying anything with a little bit complexity or requiring some real effort. That's why I play only Slither.io or Solitaire or 2048 nowadays and nothing else.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024