Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2020-04-06
01:03:35
 Re: Atic Atac

Hi Stinaris,

There must be some sort of miscommunication. I wasn't saying that you are an idiot. I said that those who expect the exact same quality from a Plus/4 game as a C64 just because both use the same amount of RAM are idiots. (By the way, most of us always learn something new about the C16 and Plus/4. Only the masters know TED's and the system's every nook and cranny.)

You see, RAM won't help with the lack of sprites. Much, much harder to do a lot of quick, arbitrarily moving objects on screen without them. And you simply lose the possibility of high resolution and high colour count inside of a single moving object without sprites.

You may lose a lot of CPU cycles if you have to move colour attributes as there are twice the colour memory areas compared to C64 and their layout is a minor horror. You cannot control the third background colour as finely as in the C64.

And of course sound is quite lacking too. It is nice what the musicians do but, unfortunately, only in terms of the system's capabilities.

Obviously, you can do many nice things like Bauknecht , Assassins, Csabo or Luca prove, but in a sense those will still be behind in quality compared to C64 games. E.g. watch Ati's Last Ninja Preview. It's cool that there is a slight chance that the game at least partly will land on our machines, but graphics will inevitably be lacking. Boy, am I glad that it is already at that level, but if I want to be brutally honest, I must say that it will be somewhat ugly. Try asking KiCHY if the exact same level of graphics could be achieved in any form on a 264 series computer you see in the C64 Atic Atac game. He will have to reply with a simple no.

Please, don't be disheartened. It was never my intention to offend you. All I was trying to say was that you should not sell yourself short. It is good what you are doing and there's (hidden) value in the way you do this project.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024