Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-01-26
15:35:31
 Re: Best efforts to make +4 picture conversion

Mad, thank you for your kind words!

Certainly EGA conversions need more efforts than just to convert it (due to special EGA dithering method), on the other hand much faster and better quality/style than to create one from zero (not to mention I am a dwarf standing on giant's shoulders (the original artists). VGA or photo conversion is nice, but generates a lot of dithering artefacts.

Here are two pictures from Kings Quest. (sorry for the big size...try to be pixel accurate. I can shrink them)
-The left is a KQ1 VGA remake, converted into HFLI. Takes only few minutes to create. 42KB in memory, and the machine cannot do anything else to show it (I think).
-The right one is the second EGA release with improved GFX, and converted into MC. Initially the EGA dithering needed to be removed in an editor (I use Paint.net, no specific palette used), then the converted one edited in Multipaint.
It is still semifinished, but the final one could be used in a game too grin (though for that a nice sprite engine is required, and only BC and Color3 could be used). Right now ~10 hours of pixeling before and after the conversion. (but I am a slow graphician)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024