Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Apple​MacMan
on 2003-04-11
 Plus4 emulator for Macintosh

Hi
I'm new to emulators and things, but does anyone know if there is a C16/plus4 emulator available for Mac? Most seem to be for PCs. I downloaded something called MacMAME but I have no idea what to do - it seems to be some multi-platform thing, and it doesn't look as simple as other system-specific emulators (e.g. Power Spectrum, MacSpectrum). Can anyone help by suggesting a pure Plus4 emulator for Mac, or otherwise can someone give me some advice on what to do with MacMAME?
Thanks.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-04-11
 Emulators for the Mac

In short: there is no specific plus/4 emulator for the Mac. You may try VICE for MAC here, although the plus/4 part is not yet officially in, so it can be that it's not compiled to the binary distribution package.

MAME is an emulator for arcade consoles, not for computers. What you need is MESS (what is actually based on MAME). There's a MAC binary available I'm sure, and it contains (a bit pre-matured, but for most games just okay) plus/4 emulation, too. A new Mac port is being under development as I've heard from the maintainers of MESS.

If you have a GNU C++ compiler you can try to compile my own plus/4 emulator, called YAPE/SDL. It's meant to be multiplatform, but I've never tried to compile it under Mac. It's actually lagging several versions behind the Win32 version, but I decided to rather contribute to existing projects than develop it further. Drop me a note if you need more info.

Eventually you may also try Minus/4 for Java.

Posted By

Apple​MacMan
on 2003-04-12
 Re. Emulators for the Mac

Thanks for your help Attila. I'm completely clueless when it comes to understanding about compiling and binary and all that stuff... I have to admit I'm just a gamer who wants to bask in the nostalgia of those old Mastertronic games!

I have MESS on my Mac (har-har!) but what's the name of the file I should go searching for on the web to give it 'plus/4' emuation capability?

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-04-12
 Firing up MESS

You need the ROM images approprately named that are NOT distributed with MESS. You may then just copy the ROMs zipped (maybe not on the Mac?) to the directory called "bios".

I don't know the user interface for the Mac port. Is it graphical? Otherwise you start it up by typing 'MESS C16' in the command line.

Well, to put in short, you may wish to refer to the README file that comes with MESS, and if you need the ROMs, drop me a mail.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024