Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2019-11-01
20:13:54
 Re: SID-Card, 6th. batch

Rough translation on the request of BSZ.

Manufacturing of the next (6th) batch of cards is planned for a while now. However the last few months were somewhat rough and there's still more of it. As I can predict it will be in December, if everything works out well, that I can deal with the project. Nevertheless, I already promised to give summary to a number of people.

#1: I do emphasize, as I did previously, I cannot provide SID chips with the card. Everyone must obtain it for themselves

#2: There's a dirt cheap component on the card that's not manufactured any more. My usual parts source has/had it in stock, so I quickly bought 20 of them. This limits the quantity of cards that can be manufactured. (Actually, there exists a compatible replacement component but I couldn't find it in stock with the vendors I check, but I hope someday it will be available.)

#3: The item that pains me: the most expensive component of the card can be purchased at triple the previous price from the vendors I checked. (This usually happens when the part is being phased out. I have no such information, the component can be ordered yet.)

#4: I'll contract a different company to manufacture the PCBs. Since the original manufacturing plans can't be used any more, I'm free to modify them. [TN: It is unclear what BSZ really meant.] I'm already working on it, but there's quite a lot more to do. (It is worthy reworking some details.) I don't plan any functional expansion (What else would people need?) but it is not finished yet. (I was looking for a replacement for the component not manufacture any more I mentioned earlier, but I couldn't find any that fits the design as much as the old one.)

#5: I didn't ask the "assembly team" either for how much they are willing to work this time, but it has no sense to talk about it without a set time.

#6: Because of the "precious" becoming more expensive and the uncertain assembling I expect currently a price approximately 10 Euros higher than before, about EUR 60 + P&P (this latter is changed too, so I have no idea about that either) is what I think as a realistic price.

I can't remember any other information at this time, but if anything comes up I'll give you updates about them.

(And somebody please translate this. Thank you.)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024