Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2019-09-23
03:59:22
 [YouTube] AmigaWave's long ride into Plus/4

Most of the #171 streaming from the Spanish channel AmigaWave took a ride into the world of Commodore 264 series.

Posted By

MMS
on 2019-09-25
17:34:41
 Re: [YouTube] AmigaWave's long ride into Plus/4

Thank you for sharing!
Well said! They made some fair statements. Very good summary.

What they also said, is very true: Commodore tried to sell it as a professional computer, but it was not.
(in fact it could not compete even with Sinclair QL in that segment, even if QL had very few colors and very bad sound, but had higher resolutions, more memory and better expandability)
But I have an interesing idea: QL came out in the same year as Plus/4. C16, C116 wanted compete with the ZX spectrums, but then Sinclair came out with the QL. What if the Plus/4 was just made bythe Marketing team to compete with the QL (even if it cannot)? They had no C128 yet, C= had no cheap "professional computer (PET was stopped and was way too expensive, C64 was treated as a game PC), so they wanted to show something on CES?

I know it was never mentioned by Bil, but he was also not in the marketing department, and had no clue, how the idea of 3+1 package came up. What if the QL was the source of the idea? (at that time C= did not know, how buggy the QL is)

If C= would create initially a graphical demo highlighting it's potentials, and releasing initially some nice 64K games (and start the lower end machines with 32K RAM), at the original Tramiel price, then it would have been a completely different story.
If you've ever seen the Apple IIGS sales demo, you know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scvWc7ed9Ec

Those recent games, demos and Larry slideshows were all look so great on this video!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024