Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2003-03-25
 Weird yape slowdown

After accidentally "upgrading" to WinXP, I have a weird slowdown problem in yape. With a normal size window the emulator runs at full speed, 50 fps. If I enable double size the speed drops to 27%, 13 fps. This is an Athlon 1700+ with a Radeon 9700 so the hardware's capable enough. It ran just fine under Win2K, but the CPU usage was noticably higher in double size mode.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-03-25

As you may know updating your OS eats even more CPU... I used 98 on a P2 333Mhz and she was sweet,. I later updated to 98se because of net related work and noticed major drop in CPU power. I coulnt not play full screen dvix perfect, but on the old OS I could..

Anyways, Yape has never run full speed here running double size. Even on my P4 2.4Ghz I loose 20%. If you haven't done so turn the GUI off which helps. Also another tip if you want a bigger YAPE noraml size drop your screen mode to 640x480 if you can.

All I can say and only wished Yape would run bigger.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-03-25
 Known problem...

That is partially a known problem... I use a device independant bitmap by default for screen rendering that originates back to the good old days of Win 3.1. It is very much compatible, but also too much dependant on the drivers of your graphics card. If you don't have decent drivers it may occur that the doubled screen mode will take out too much of the system on NT because of the switch between kernel and user space, and also because the translation to doubled screen mode is managed the Windows GDI subsystem not by DirectX...

You may wish to switch to DirectX by ticking out Use GDI in the Screen menu. It can still occur that the performance is bad for some cards.... It is very dependant of the driver, but I may address this issue in later relaeases, so that it will be less dependant on the drivers.

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2003-03-26

Lando: WinXP doesn't use noticably more CPU power, but it needs more RAM. As for 98SE vs 98, the main difference between the two is that the later one has more and newer drivers, and a few bufixes. Nothing that should make the computer slower.

Attila: Thanks, I'll try using DirectX. You might want to make the faster option the default, and fall back to slow and compatible if that fails.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-03-26

MagerV4lp: Thats because you have too much power to even notice wink

XP uses a 101 more resources just doing simplest things. All the new groovy icons and face lift are just for starters, every program has a back door to 20 others etc..... PC horse power has speeded up so much you won't notice most things and again not much will eat your CPU if you have a good machine. But if I was to run XP on my P2 333mhz it would'nt be worth turning on wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-03-26

Ati, isn't there a way for doubling up the image size with-out relying on hardware tricks? A guess, YAPE would work twice has hard, but here I have the power to run a number of yapes at the same time with no slow down in normal size mode.

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-03-26
 Yape double sized

Lando: there surely is a way happy I need to find the time to dig myself into it. I was about to re-code the frame update functions but there's always something more interesting coming wink

MagerValp: you may consider saving your settings as DX by default (that is with the 'Use GDI' option off). I will distribute the EXE with a corresponding INI from now on, thanks for the tip.

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2003-03-28
 works fine now

Yep, with DX code it works great, no slowdown at all.

Lando: I used to run WinXP on a P2/266 without any problems at all. The machine had 384 MB of RAM though, and I turned off the ugly XP graphics and used the normal windows theme. No problem at all.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024