Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-03-18
 Heartfixer

Congratulations to bubis and luca for their great demo! It is really refreshing to see new releases nowadays.

The 4x4FLI was nice, but after all I'd expected to see this on Plus/4 sooner or later. Blocky demos here we come! happy

But what really amazed me was the 2D bumpmapping effect. It is incredibly fast and good looking. What is the actual resolution etc ? Care to share some details ?

This does really make me want to hit the keys again - too bad my time is allocated until some time next year

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-03-18
 Re: 4x4

The demo is phenomenal, no question about it. Where did you see a 4x4 effect, though? All the effects (before the bumpmap) are manipulating whole character color bytes (you could say it's 8x8 I guess).

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-03-18

Indeed amazing. The girls head was awesome, I could not believe what I was seeing happy
Luca's tune was intresting and very cool towards the end which reminded me of the style from Flimbo's Quest. Great stuff happy

Congratulations to you both!!

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-03-19
 Are we all enthusiastic, isn't?

OK: then it's the time to built the always dreamed dabtabase of Plus4' knowledge.... Csaboooo... happy happy

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-03-19
 no 4x4 and the head

Well, there is no 4x4FLI in it! Many people thought this on the party too. happy It is "simple" char mode but the screen is 40x34. happy

And believe it or not but the last effect is not the classical 2D bumpmapping! All the effects in this demo is based on my method of rotation texture on a sphere. A special texture is the light. I map the points of the surface to the sphere accordint to their surface normals. I rotate the light texture on the sphere and color the points according to this mapping. The resolution is 160x100 and I use ordered dithering.
This is the theory. happy In this demo I approximate the surface normals with 512 uniformly distributed vectors and I calculate the light intensity for only 256 of them. I get the rest by averaging. The resolution is 160x100 but I use 4x2 blocks where the picture is not detailed too much.
And a very important trick: I use interlacing. I refresh the odd and even lines alternately. happy

Sorry for the bad english. I hope I was understandable.

bubis

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-03-19
 DivX from the demo

I would like to make a DivX version of this demo but I have no hardware for this. I have no suitable PC and my SID card has old SID. The tune of the demo was composed for the new SID chip.
Can anybody help me? I can solve these problems anyway but only in two weeks.
And probably the xVid codec would be better. I was told that this codec is the best for demo stuff.

bubis

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-03-19
 ew

Bubis, thank you for sharing your ideas. Thats a really nice trick, I think you could use the same to do "classic" bumpmapping.

Btw, several years ago I implemented a very similar effect on amiga:

http://www.synotec-newmedia.de/amigademos/showdemo.php3?id=159 (First row, second picture)

It is also using a displacement table and a rotator for the texture.

Regarding the 4x4 issue: I will promise to switch Yape to fullscreen next time I watch a demo happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-03-19
 To Bionic

No chances in something like the "Little world" project?

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-03-19
 we

luca:
Well, although I have a Plus/4 with working keyboard now, I am very unlikely to have the time for any demo projects. I am about to finish my studies soon and there is a lot to do before and after the diploma happy

bubis:
I guess you are using two table lookups with polar coordinates for your sphere rotator ?

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-03-19
 sphere rotation

Well, I would say no but it is imaginable that we have the same idea in our mind. But I don't want to tell it. You have to re-engineer my code if you want to know! happy

bubis

Posted By

Luca
on 2003-03-19
 Bionic's graduaation

Yeah, I did it in a similar way, can understand the matter... BTW, remember that a little sign, something that steals few hours in total, could be a real good thing happy

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-03-19
 topic must be entered

bubis: well, the method i have in mind is definitly the fastest way to do it. Actually its not that new. You need two tables, one maps the screen coordinates to polar coordinates, and another table to map the polar coordinates to another system of polar coordinates perpendicular to the first one. The final coordinates are used for texture lookup. By adding offsets to both the table lookups you can rotate around two axis.

Graham did a sphere mapper using this method in some older demo. I think it is in a hidden part in "dawnfall", but i might be mistaken.

Posted By

bubis
on 2003-03-19
 sphere rotation

Well, watch again the demo! At the sphere part I rotate around three axis. But the idea is the same. I only use the coordinate system -> perpendicular coordinate system mapping twice. And yes, the offsets... happy

bubis

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-06-06
 Re: Heartfixer

hm, though it seems unimaginable to me, I am finally beginning to understand some things here, from which I am already too amazed to continue understanding. First I must meditate a bit more on all this stuff...

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024