Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-12-27
08:01:43
 Digiloi: Fight In Full PETSCIIvision!

DigiloiXmas is the right time to receive presents from relatives of your own family, and the Commodore family can't miss this tradition, too!

Dr. TerrorZ has just delighted before all of us with his total mastery about PETSCII graphics, and stuff like Nothing But PET SKI or The First Ball should easily convince anybody. Digiloi is a bigger leap ahead: a complete action game in PETSCIIvision, with gigantic characters and a very colorful scenario of shiny metallic bulbs and intricated jungle. The Plus/4 version of his own original C64 game would have simply seen as a natural consequence, but the author himself did find the present (again!) of a new speed for his code, achieving a surprising 30% faster version of the game.

Now you all know how to spend your Xmas holidays: save the whole planet by disabling the master computer, find three floppy keys and insert them in the terminal. PETSCIIblast'em all!

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2018-12-27
08:01:43
 Re: Digiloi: Fight In Full PETSCIIvision!

Crazy!

Posted By

Lavina
on 2018-12-27
08:09:22

This is cool! happy

Posted By

Degauss
on 2018-12-27
09:26:41

Holy cow! This made my day!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2018-12-27
09:57:54

Fantastic! Really well done.

Posted By

Chronos
on 2018-12-27
10:22:36

How cool is that!!

Posted By

Mad
on 2018-12-27
12:41:52

Fantastic game with awesome graphics.. Nice to see and extremely cool that he did the plus/4 port!!

Posted By

Doug
on 2018-12-27
13:01:22

That's incredible! Who'd have thought that PETSCII could look so good??
A total masterpiece, and the bar gets raised again! It's amazing that these ancient platforms keep on giving (down to dedicated guys like this). What more is to come?

Posted By

Lavina
on 2018-12-27
13:31:27

...And let's not forget that IMHO he did the best crossplatform pixeling tool for our platform as well.

I'm delighted to have such guys on board.

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-12-27
13:31:12

The incremented speed compared to the C64 version is a real plus, and once added to the fantastic animations, it becomes an unbelievable case of hi graded coolness overall.

I cheated just to be sure to not miss the ending, but even before cheating, the baddies' respawn system created by Dr. Terrorz is quite a professional way to raise the challenge for any skilled player, and offers a very good battlefield for all the scorecrawlers outta here: the one who gambles against all the respawn baddies will collect the higher score. Challenge's open right now!

PS: I added the referring blog's page about this game as individual link, a very detailed and informative one, don't miss it too!

PPS: I seize this opportunity to remember to you all: vote, vote, vote for your loved or most hated productions, do you kinow that the most impressive slideshow ever on Plus/4 Dreamtime 2K18 misses just one vote to appear in the charts, and at the moment it does not? :o

Posted By

Spektro
on 2018-12-27
14:09:33

Nicely done! Good playability.

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-12-27
14:41:05

Very well done! I am big fan of PETSCII, but this one is beyond my expectations.

Fluid movement, nice blowups, cool trees and machines.
A real eye-candy!

Posted By

Luca
on 2018-12-28
06:59:00

Dr. TerrorZ specifies that the official Plus/4 version has been moderated in speed to play exactly like the C64 counterpart; he added a S version showing the game in fullspeed as an experimental demo, try it!

For all the rest, wait for his own answer here wink

Posted By

Stinaris
on 2018-12-28
13:59:23

Holy amazeballs.

That is epic.

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-12-29
05:20:31

Wow, how come this is the first of this kind? Cool! happy

Posted By

blinddarm
on 2019-01-03
04:49:05

Really outstanding! Congrats for that great work !

Posted By

Dr. TerrorZ
on 2019-01-06
04:31:55

Thank you all for the nice comments! I hope I can find the time to tinker with the plus/4 version.

Posted By

theruler
on 2019-01-08
16:36:45

Just wow.
How do you techincally achieved that smooth sprite movement?
I d0n't know, just asking, but would it be possible to add scrolling also?

Posted By

Luca
on 2019-01-08
17:19:37

Mh mh mh :/ I've seen several time the word "sprite" used for this game, here and somewhere else, and I think we all should re-read once again what a "sprite" really is happy

Posted By

theruler
on 2019-01-08
17:34:08

Yeah, I should have put quotation marks. ;P
Anyway I am a noob, I could only "program" in basic. Just wondering which is the trick behind this technical beauty.
I mean, if it was only PETASCII the movement should have had more "blocky".

Posted By

MMS
on 2019-01-08
18:46:39

If you open in on YT, and in the setting change the speed of movie to 0.25 of the original, in full screen you can see how it works.
In fact (as I see) the character utilizes full character movement, and I saw no half-character or pixel-fine movement trick used here (though I am not sure, that no double buffering happens).

I think the magic here is the really huge and complex (and moving/running) character.

As the character is 7-8 character wide (and the height is even more), when the character is moved by one complete character in one direction, then compared to the total chacater side, it is treated by the eyes as a small movement, like a small sprite moved for 1 or 2 pixels.
If the character would not have any animation (like in Ghost Town), the blockier movement would be more evident, but the 4 phase (and color trick on the leg) animation makes it less visible.

Though such an fluid animation could be done in assembler, it is worth to try CBM Program Studio.
(I do not want to OFF this nice game's topic, so I may add some hints later and somewhere else, if interested)

Posted By

Luca
on 2019-01-09
02:10:25

I read the word PETASCII on Facebook too along these days and I would have died! PETASCII is the sound of a splatted paintball, PETSCII is the word you're searching for grin

Posted By

marcos64
on 2021-02-16
03:49:47

This game has only SID sound, no TED sound, right?

Posted By

Luca
on 2021-02-16
08:25:48

marcos64: yes.

Posted By

marcos64
on 2021-02-16
09:19:39

Thanks! I was afraid there was a problem with my TED.

Posted By

javierglez
on 2021-02-25
05:01:06

I wonder if the author considered doing a PET/CBM port, I have a hunch that the game could bear the lack of color, it would be the best game ever for the platform.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024