Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2018-11-12
21:26:50
 Re: When do they want to refurbish the C+/4, too? :-)

What it is in short is Vice C64 in a box that runs via HDMI @ 720p. It runs on a version of Vice any way.

Since the last firmware update, (1.1.4) which was only released a couple of weeks back it has greatly improved the thing compared to what it was out of the box thanks to a new file browser. It now properly supports D64, G64, D81, D82, T64, TAP, PRG, P00 and even CRT!
Every different file you use gets 4 save state slots which save directly to your memory stick/sd card so you can carry on as before at a later date, that's cool.

It's not bad though, instead of having a PC fired up or laptop to mess with C64 this small box of tricks does the job well. A USB hub can add more USB ports so a real PC keyboard can be used, memory sticks, SD cards ect and a spare joystick or pad. Some wireless keyboards also work.

There is a slight 'sound' delay as you would expect from emulation but playing games is fine, you get used to it as you do going from the real thing to PC ect. I guess it started out as more of a toy because of the lack of file support but this last update has really made a difference. I have one just for messing about, saves me switching the real thing on when all I want to do is have a quick mess about.

An all in one that does C64, C128, Plus/4 and Vic 20 would of been sweat though and it's very possible of course. Maybe another 10 years we might get lucky or someone hacks one so it does more.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024