Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2018-06-25
15:38:25
 Commodore History Part 4 - The Plus4, C16, and C116

Published today; worth watching IMHO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICiZbUypMlQ

Features Bil Herd, a bunch of our games and demos. Gets a few things wrong (*sigh*) but otherwise a pretty fair assessment and overview of our beloved machine.

Posted By

theruler
on 2018-06-25
17:02:41
 Re: Commodore History Part 4 - The Plus4, C16, and C116

I have my popcorn bucket ready.

Posted By

Ramtop
on 2018-06-26
07:31:24

I think David did about as accurate a summary of the 264 family as it's reasonable to expect from a Youtuber. A couple of errors, but nothing major, and I liked that he stressed how nice a development machine the Plussy is and showed off some demos that really emphasize what can be done with TED's 121 colour palette.

My only real disagreement with him is over his assertion that a more aggressively priced C16 could have competed with the ZX Spectrum. He seems oblivious to just how huge the Speccy was outside of the US and the colossal library of games it had. I always thought Commodore's plan to compete with Sinclair, even if the C116 had launched at the intended $49, was DOA.

Posted By

MMS
on 2018-06-26
14:11:34

Thank you foir the link!
Pretty good summary, even supported by Bill Herd! I think if anyone, he knows what was the real project target happy

Maybe I am on the surface level, but I found all information correct and accurate. And I also think the biggest failure was the 16K RAM of C116 and C16, with 32K, better initial games and easier expandability (over 64K, maybe with open memory slots) this line could be a killer small office machine. Sure, a lower starting price (150USD or lower) would help a lot too...
I may call the Mr.Puniverse "32K" a smaller mistake (as it became >16K due to crack), but in fact it is a 32K game now happy
Very nice that some of the recent games and demos (congrats, Larry! happy ) listed too. and I think he is correct to call the Summer and Winter events one of the best 16K games, though Tom Thumb is in most people's heart.

Posted By

SVS
on 2018-06-27
07:33:34

Nice to see the clip, but also sad to recall the unlucky 264 history

One little point: the so called Plus/4 internal programs was originally intended to be personalized. I mean the buyer should have had the option about which ROM was inside (WP or Spreadsheet, or Financiers, etc). What is said in the Youtube that CBM did plan to supply all the machines with 64K of productive SW is not correct.
After the SW development, CBM decided to put a unique lone ROM (32K) with a condensed version of the 4 single packages. The good Davide W. Johnson had only 30 days to make it all.
For this too I consider the 3+1 SW not so bad as much people thinks. For the time and the resource IMO he made a good work.

Posted By

RoePipi
on 2018-06-27
09:49:55

MMS: Big Mr Puniverse is some kind of remix of the original Big Mac's levels (modified so that you can walk between them) with additional screens (note the 99 collectable vitamins). Many of the screens have bad, unmatching colors, and unusual design. But the size of the playfield is enormous, it gave me a contented feeling back then happy

SVS: The 3-plus-1 software was not so bad, I remember writing some text in the text editor, doing some formulas in the calc, printing some graphs from them, and even trying out some databases. I was impressed by the possible data sizes on a disk side, I even started a database-based personal journal back then happy

Posted By

bubis
on 2018-06-27
11:03:12

Pretty good video. I was surprised and proud to see a short part from Heartfixer at the end of the video. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024