Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2018-06-22
08:12:38
 Re: A New Resolution!

Let me answer that; my guess would be that it's because he's enthusiastic about the topic. If there's anything we need around here, it's more enthusiasm. We should try to foster that.

Otherwise, pointing out technical inaccuracies is fine, in fact, I think that also should be encouraged. Getting correct information out there is good for all of us, that's how we learn. On that note...

"Under graphic 1 there are only 128 unique chr$ available." -> well, that's incorrect (unless you want to append "by default"). Check this out:
POKE740,DEC("D4"):CHAR1,5,5,"A"
Voila, you have the other 128 chars available. (This should be trivial to handle from BASIC. One stored byte can mean any of the 256 chars; for <128, do POKE740,DEC("D0"), for >=128, do POKE740,DEC("D4"). You could even write a single expression that uses no IF statement.)

"A Graphic 1 only costs in memory that is 3000 bytes per screen." I totally get what you're trying to say here, but I'd argue that you're probably mixing up "resolution" with "compression". Once the picture is on screen as graphics, it takes the full 10K, it has no choice. So... you've stored that 10K on only 3000 bytes. They are both still in memory, so it's a total of 13K now. (The bottom line here is, if you're going to show graphics that is already taking up 10K, it might as well be normal graphics, not restricted to repeating characters - then you worry about the compression separately.)

Specifically about the compression part: it's okay, but Exomizer would compress it better. You could have done it better too in this case; since you're only using grayscale, you could have stored both the foreground and background in a single byte. You're down to only 2000 bytes happy

Anyway, keep it up and let us know if you have more questions.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024