Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Mad
on 2018-06-14
11:27:39
 Re: Spikes game released!

Hey Majikeyric

Nice that your game runs in 50 fps.

I have a sprite demo attached to Pets Rescue. In the sprite demo there is cleared the whole screen for every displayed frame and 8 sprites are displayed. If the 8 sprites are small it is even with this additional performance hit of clearing the whole screen running at 50 fps.

The sprites are no problem for the framerate in Pets Rescue, the scrolling for instance takes a lot more time. Like Degauss once said, if the Plus/4 would have DMA scrolling it could easily compete with other computers displaying a lot of sprites at 50fps..

About the memory saving tricks and their performance:

better: The "automasking" actually increased the performance in my case, using full masks would be slower.

same: The x mirroring is very fast because you call it just once if you actually flip the sprite.

worse: The shifting trick, is of course a performance hit, but it's not a big one at all, I would suggest to just use this trick if you use a lot of sprites, like in our game around 200 different ones.

However I know programmers, so no need to change anything these are just some ideas. I know you are happy with the game.

I just wanted to address your comment: "The few software sprites with their shifted frames and corresponding masks + the double buffer screens take a lot of memory. I don't see how I could make the prg under the $4000 address..."

As said it's your game, sorry for my interference..

Have a nice day!

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024