Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Thomas
on 2003-02-13
 VICE: Plus/4 emulator: "Das Rätsel der 7. Kolonie" finally runs!!

Hi,

I've just received the XPlus4-part of VICE from Markus Brenner (thank you so much, man!). I didn't know that the Plus/4 part already works and that the source code has already been published happy, although it's still unofficial and unfinished. I could have compiled it myself all the time...
- Yeah, right, so far that's nothing new. wink

But. VICE is the only emulator that is capable of running my self-made G64 image (right, G64!) of "Das Rätsel der 7. Kolonie" from Kingsoft! happy happy happy
I posted here some time ago because I wasn't able to transfer it to the PC since it's copy-protected, and because I have never seen this game anywhere on the internet, and now it finally runs! happy

The problem is, it's a text adventure, and it's German, so unfortunately many of you won't be able to play it, I guess.
But perhaps some of you are nevertheless interested since it's really rare! happy

Sooo if anybody would like to have a look at it, download it from here: raetsel.zip (32 kB)

And my first impression of VICE is really great! Sure, some things aren't working properly yet, and I have only tested it for about 30 minutes, but there are so many really cool features in it I've never seen before... Wow! happy
This could easily become the ultimative Plus/4 emulator, I think.

Happy regards,
Lord Voldemort

Posted By

MagerValp
on 2003-02-14
 ted still broken

Yep, the drive emulation is solid (as it's pretty much the same as the other platforms), but the TED emulation still has a long way to go.

Someone really should help the team out...

Posted By

Gaia
on 2003-02-14
 VICE

Drive emulation is also not fully functional, unfortunately. The last time I tried, turbos loaders didn't work, probably because of the incorrect timings.

The problem with VICE that its architecture is vastly complicated. One has to spend days to have an idea of what's really going on.

Do they have a public CVS? Or how can anyone apply at all?

Posted By

Thomas
on 2003-02-14
 The VICE homepage says...

..."Anyway, we probably need more help to keep all things going, so here is the usual call for volunteers... wink If you like to join our group, and help us in any way , please send a mail to vice-devel@firenze.linux.it."

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-02-14
 Re: Game

Thomas, could you provide some more details on this game? It's been added to the database (look under new uploads), but we have very little info on it. Things I would need: translation of the name, release date, size, creators (if known). I can't download the file through your link in your first post. Did you remove the game already? TIA!

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-02-15
 Re: Running the game with VICE

James C has sent me a copy of the G64 file (thanks! happy), so now I could try it out... However, it doesn't work on my computer with VICE It gives me a CPU Jam at $11EB. Could it be because I'm running an older verison (1.9)? How did you guys got this to run? Also, is there really a protection in this game? If so, the TAP version may be easier to 'crack'. Remember Pawel from Poland, who sent us all those covers? He has this game listed on his site (tape version). Of course I asked for the cover scan at least even back then, but he told me that his cassette was without a cover.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-02-15
 Csabo -->

The diskette itself was copy-protected. See the thread "Breaking Copy Protection in Kingsoft" a few days ago.

I'm glad to see that it was able to be done, though. I was starting to wonder if we had access to anything that would make the required disk image....

Posted By

Thomas
on 2003-02-15
 More info about the game

Hi Csabo,

here's all I could find out about the game (unfortunately I couldn't find the cover):
- It's from Kingsoft, (c) 1986.
- The title showed during loading is: "Raetsel der 7. Kolonie", but that's only because the "ä" can't be shown, it should be: "Rätsel der 7. Kolonie"
- Translated to English, that would be: "Mystery of the Seventh Colony"
- Authors (shown at the start screen): Alexander Graf v.d. Schulenburg, Miho Emil Birimisa

The introduction text shown at the start screen says:
"Limba, the seventh colony of Earth in the year 2010, has developed to a scientific research metropolis over the years. Brisk trade and radio communication takes place, but lately every contact to this colony has been lost. For this reason a highly qualified man,
namely you, was sent to the planet in order to solve the mysterious secret.

You have just now landed on Limba!"

The download should work again, I had messed up the rights for the directory... I tried to give everybody access for the /Plus4 folder, but it didn't work, and after that the file wasn't even downloadable anymore.

Posted By

Thomas
on 2003-02-15
 @Csabo

However, it doesn't work on my computer with VICE It gives me a CPU Jam at $11EB. Could it be because I'm running an older verison (1.9)?

I don't know... Probably. Why don't you try 1.11?
How did you guys got this to run?

I attached the G64 image and pressed Shift & Caps-Lock to load it. I think it has do be done this way.

Also, is there really a protection in this game?

Trust me: yes. wink
I've tried everything to transfer it to the PC, and even only to copy it to another disc! I didn't even manage the latter, it didn't run even on the real Plus/4. Until James gave me a hint and I found a tool named "Nibble_Hack'em.prg" which was able to make a copy of the disc. But that copy run only on the real Plus/4 and again didn't work in any of the emulators.

If so, the TAP version may be easier to 'crack'. Remember Pawel from Poland, who sent us all those covers? He has this game listed on his site (tape version).

Aaah!! I want a TAP! I want it now! happy
- I think a TAP can't be copy-protected. I never had any difficulties with TAP files, they always worked. The simulation of the datassette seems to be 100% "real".

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024