Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Sidney
on 2017-11-04
15:27:07
 Just taken the plunge and bought a plus4!

As per the title, I decided to add a plus 4 to my 264 collection, it came with all manuals and over 20 games 2 joysticks, scart lead, psu, tape deck etc, it is also recapped and heatsinks fitted.
It works a treat and it is great to play Icicle Works, Treasure Island and Saboteur not to mention all the other classics.
My question to the wider community is- how reliable is a recapped and hestsinked Plus4 given that the machine without these adjustments is considered to be a ticking time bomb generally- particularly when compared with the C16.

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-11-04
17:07:30
 Re: Just taken the plunge and bought a plus4!

A non ticking time bomb! happy

I think next to the overheating ICs, the joystick issue is the second biggest threat to the 264 series.
Try not using more advanced joystick models, especially: never use autofire
This function causing short circuited TED, and will kill it in no time. Valid to C16 too.

There was a circuit developped some years ago to protect the TED in this conditon from joysticks, but I am not aware of any working prototype.

If I remember well, the Plus/4's extra ROMs also tend to use more current and generate more heat, than if EPROM versions of them would be used (IC swapping). Maybe I am wrong...

I think from PSU side Plus/4 is much more reliable than the too weakly designed C16 PSU, so when I count the Plus//4s' overheated CPU and extra ROMs VS C16 PSU, the risks are somehow balanced.
(TED is DEAD is the same risk for both models)

Posted By

Sidney
on 2017-11-04
18:34:41

Thankyou for your detailed response to my question, I will take your points into consideration. The machine is in good working order and the psu is in fine form and I would like to do all I can to keep it that way so any tips on how to maintain and look after my plus4 are gratefully received!

The seller provided a helpful list of do's and dont's regarding the leads and the connecting of said leads - like not connecting or disconnecting anything when the power is on- joysticks TV cables etc.

Posted By

JimmyCoupe
on 2017-11-08
14:10:56

Wow I did not know that an auto fire joystick could damage the TED chip. Dam I love using my Quickshot 2 turbo joysticks on the Plus4 .

Posted By

MMS
on 2017-11-08
16:24:08

Hi,
there is a very detailed discussion on that joystick matter, lot of useful info from others and some usual offtopic BS from my side happy,

Worth to check it.

forum/23119

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024