Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-08-28
18:41:35
 Native SID, Digi converter, FRQ converter comparison

Dear All,

Just a question: is there any demo, music demo, possibly a one file demo, that is using a good SID music as a main theme, but you can switch between the native SID (SID card), Digi SID converter and the classic FRQ converter playback INSTANTLY with a keypress?

Would be interesting to hear all three methods just next to each other. Thanks!

Also, just to mention, I think the Digi SID converter is also a used feature by PRGs. (My most faviourite prg utilizing it is the Laser Squad with the intro music plays C64 Shadow of the Beast in digi. While it is a normal TED in playback, it is a real challange to do it prperly, and do something useful next to it)

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2016-08-29
00:30:37
 Re: Native SID, Digi converter, FRQ converter comparison

I don't remember any such demo, but it is not too hard writing one. I think you should do it. However, I don't think that it would be that interesting. SID is good, wave converter is bad, but somewhat resembles the original, freq converter is tragic, but if you have good music senses it can be figured out what is playing.

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-08-29
13:16:30

happy I expected such an answer!

Posted By

siz
on 2016-08-30
05:37:22

You can try out my Zak Wizzard 2.1. It can open C64 music executables (no PSIDs) and you can choose between freq converter (default) or Digi-converter (by pressing D using playback) or SID-card (by pressing C) or return to freq converter with F.
They are not the best in class converters (both freq and digi converters are written by me). Although I'm proud of the digi converter but the there are better freq converters out there. wink

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-08-31
13:37:08

thank you! I will try it out today. I plan to use it for a demonstration.

Posted By

Luca
on 2016-08-31
13:55:52

I've tested Zak Wizzard 2.1 just after I've read the MMS' request, and it did not work to me...because I've tested it with a tune previously converted to use registers at $FD40! Sometimes, I show to the whole world to be even more stupid than I normally looks, and of course the program regularly works.

siz as you can see, in the database we used to collect and archive the single converters too (e.g.: Coby Converter, CSM Converter, TCFS Converter, TLC's Digital 2...). I didn't know you coded your own converters, so you can send'em to us in order to add'em too here happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-09-01
16:13:10

Well, I tested it, but I was ill and had fever, and tried to use the old Plus/4 emu, but it had troubles to react to the Fx command properly, so I had UI issues.
Would be nice to have a D64 release from ZAk with files will surely work with. I downloaded few SIDs, but have to test again with YAPE.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024