Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIRKOSOFT
on 2016-04-26
17:33:09
 How to use JiffyDOS with switch in VICE Plus/4 emulator

Hi!

I'm like little kid learning something about Commodore Plus/4.
I have image of JiffyDOS ROM for Plus/4 "JiffyDOS_Plus4_repl318005-05 w switch.bin" - so it's with switch.
I replaced Kernal of Plus/4 and restart VICE - no effect, maybe I don't know how to use switch or I have defect image or Kernal replacement was not what I had to do... When I replaced Kernal in YAPE after reset it failed.
So please explain me anybody how to use JiffyDOS for Plus/4.

Many thanks.

Miro

Posted By

JamesC
on 2016-04-26
22:00:41
 Re: How to use JiffyDOS with switch in VICE Plus/4 emulator

You're using the wrong ROM image. What you have is intended to be burned to an EPROM, and a switch attached. WIthout the switch, your JiffyDOS isn't "on" so it isn't visible to your emulator. It's the same as having nothing in the Kernal slot at all.

The proper ROM image can be obtained from Jim Brain. Remember that you need a matching disk drive ROM image if you want full use of all JiffyDOS features.
http://store.go4retro.com/jiffydos-c16-c116-plus-kernal-rom-overlay-image/

Edit to add: other sites can sell you a JiffyDOS license. I linked to Jim because it's the only URL I remember offhand. :)

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2016-04-28
08:00:39

First, I wouldn't recommend using VICE Plus/4 at all, but it is a matter of personal preferences. plus4emu or YAPE do much better work emulating these machines.

The case with the ROM image may be salvageable. If that switch in the product changes the MSB of the address input of the ROM IC, then the upper half of the image must contain the JiffyDOS enhanced KERNAL. If the switch controls a different address line, then the two contents are intermixed and equal sized slices of both images are following each other. Slice size depends on the switched address line.

Posted By

MIRKOSOFT
on 2016-04-27
18:18:38

Thank you very much!

I split file into two 16K files 'cause Plus/4 Kernal has 16K and result is one standard Plus/4 Kernal and one JiffyDOS Plus/4 ROM. I try to upload file to this web.
Thank you for suggestion how to do it. I tested it in VICE - works and in YAPE but there after ROM change displays correctly power-on with Jiffy but screen is blanking.

Else again - Thank you very much!

Miro

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2016-04-28
07:59:54

Miro,

I wouldn't advise uploading any product that is commercially available now. The rights holders wouldn't be too happy about it, and the site owner and administrators really don't need any kind of legal action against them. You need to get their permission, which I wouldn't hope to get, in the first place.

Regarding the problem with YAPE, did you replace the drive ROM image too? There is a checkbox and an entry filed at the bottom of the drive setup dialog window (Alt+Q for drive 8, open the settings menu for the others). Or is there some different problem?

Posted By

MIRKOSOFT
on 2016-04-28
19:17:42

So, I'm sorry, I didn't want to avoid copyright, I hope that admin of this forum forgive me 'cause yesterday I uploaded it.
Really is for me now JiffyDOS copyright Q:
- it is possible to download complete set over the web as free - so is it avoiding © too?
- I know Jim Brain offers JD ICs, there can be copyright but not to software 'cause creator is CMD and is it not for now freeware or abandonware?
Really don't understand, please explain me this problem - my software is always created as freeware limited by not changing file(s). So, need explain JD...
Miro

Posted By

JamesC
on 2016-04-28
21:59:02

You did not create JiffyDOS. It is not yours to distribute. You may not upload it to other sites.

Creators can sell or license their works to other companies. You cannot determine copyright status based on whether a creator still exists.

Posted By

MIRKOSOFT
on 2016-04-29
13:53:12

You didn't understand me:
I wrote that my own software - not JiffyDOS - only what I created has freeware license.
I was asking for JD not like my software 'cause I modified it - I asked if is possible to modify it without sell or copying, and what JD is - freeware or abandonware 'cause is selling by Jim Brain, but it's possible download it over the web as free... Where is true about JD copyright?
I know what copyright is and know that modifying makes me not author and also if is software marked as freeware, it is meaning possible to copy for free without any modification.
My Q was: Avoided I copyright by modifying it?

Miro

Posted By

JamesC
on 2016-04-29
21:04:45

JiffyDOS is still under copyright, and under US copyright law it will remain copyrighted for AT LEAST the next 70 years.

Finding JiffyDOS on a website for free does NOT mean JiffyDOS is abandoned or freeware. It only means that Doug Cotton (the original author, and current copyright holder) has not yet forced the website to remove JiffyDOS from their server.

I understand that US copyright law may differ from where you are, but the simple fact remains: when other forum members tell you that you cannot or should not distribute a particular software for some reason, their advice is probably correct. Rephrasing your question, or making comparisons to your own software, does not change US copyright law.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2016-04-30
07:20:04

Miro,
I think instead of "avoiding copyright" you meant "violating copyright", right?

As JamesC pointed out already:
JiffyDOS is copyrighted material, even though CMD is no longer in business. Depending on the law in your country, you might be allowed to download JiffyDOS (and modify the code).
However, you can't upload the original or modified JiffyDOS here.

I'm more interested in your modifications happy
Have you added anything or fixed known bugs? Then release a patch that includes just your code. So anyone who legally owns JiffyDOS can use your software to patch the original file. Thus, you won't violate any copyrights.

If your modification is just the splitting of the file you mentioned … Well, if I remember correctly, there is a JiffyDOS version without the switch wink

Posted By

MIRKOSOFT
on 2016-04-30
12:16:38

Yes, I meant violation, I'm sorry my English is too poor.
What I did?
No any patch, simple compared file with JiffyDOS and Kernal - JD had 32K size and Kernal 16K, when I opened it in hex editor half of file was by editor same, so simple what I did - split it and tested, works.
In case of Commodore Plus/4 - I'm real 128er and own also Mega 65, C128 has C64 mode too, own SCPU128 and CP/M cartridge - I'm developer of The Ace OS for all named systems, own all what I need to test except C64DTV, but this I want only for tests, it's no interesant, sorry C64 fans - C64 too, but really want to own and programming Commodore Plus/4. 264 Series was always interesant, and really (not public opinion) always think to support 264 Series too, but it's for me unknown area. I have simple Q: what a price has Plus/4 with 1551 drive for buy?
Thank you all for reply

Posted By

Patrick
on 2016-05-01
05:07:02

avoiding copyrights is part of the 8-bit system for many many years. we all did that in the past. the guys that are complaining now are getting a bit soft!!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024