Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

funkydude
on 2016-01-24
01:03:17
 Leaderboard Golf Access Software

Looking at this game, I think it just uses the bitmap screen. Could this be a easy conversion to the Plus/4?

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-01-24
04:37:05
 Re: Leaderboard Golf Access Software

looks simple, and most of the cases it can work, though the colors needs a little finetuning of the colors, as the C64 has one more free color per 8x8 compared to Plus/4, but green could be Color3 (second background color).
As I saw the video, only the close encounters may cause technically some troubles, as the white ball may go near to the player gfx.

Posted By

Chicken
on 2016-01-24
05:36:11

There's already a decent Golf game on our platform: Golf Royal. Have you tried it? happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-01-24
09:13:31

Wow, it is really well made. It is a new one for me, maybe because in 1990 I already played more on my C64, and in 1992 I sold my C16...

Posted By

Luca
on 2016-01-24
10:09:02

If Plus/4World would have adopted a voting system similar to another famous demoscene site ( wink ), that one with the inclusion of "hearts" to assign to entries unregarding their actual intrinsic value...well, Golf Royal would have got one from me for sure! Loved it, played it like hell, charmed by the aura of mystery surrounding it and its history.

Oh anyway: I still love to see new converted games. Years ago that was an urgency, nowadays the most common answer you get from around is: better you play the original with an emulator, which is the kind of answer I find to be quite unsuitable overall: converting a game is an art, especially about the choices you take in order to port most of the original features, and I personally would see more conversions even these days.

Posted By

MMS
on 2016-01-25
17:32:03

OFF converted games
watching some of the games, especially comparisons, I have the feeling that ZX Spectrum games really better fit for conversion to Plus/4, that C64 version. Sprites were always a big headache, and latest C64 games
The music could be ripped from C64, and can be used by digi or FRQ converters. How complicated it could be? Kichy could tell soem words, but defintiely the addressing in Z80 is really different than in 6502.
Some of the late or recent ZX Spectrum games look pretty neat.

Few examples:
-Myth: defintiely looks almost impossible to convert the C64 version. The ZX Spectrum version look nice and still OK gameplay. Certainly the Myth C64 music was missing
-Golden Axe: ZX Spectrum version is horrible compared to C64
-Turrican: as Pigmy once wrote to me (maybe 30 years ago), in case there is a need from the users, any game can be converted. Turrican is an example, that except few similarities, it is a really different and much weaker game on ZX
-Ric Dangerous, Flying Shark, R-Type, Renegade, Chase HQ, Midnight Resistance, Rainbow Island: all very well made on ZX, and these are all kind of missing categories on Plussy
-Brunilda: definitely a huge game, with proper look, though I did not play too much with Magic Candle too, because it is just too huge happy

Posted By

Chicken
on 2016-02-09
10:16:40

Back to topic wink

In Ceekay's Mega Hype there's an interesting note in part 3:

"…
BECAUSE I AM
WAITING FOR CROWN'S GRAPHIC
CONVERTER TO CONVERT THE HIRES-INTRO
OF LEADER-BOARD. THE GAME IS
NEARLLY READY,I THINK I'LL SPREAD
THE FIRST VERSION IN ABOUT 1 MONTH."

http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Mega_Hype#program_text

Has anyone ever seen this game on plus/4? I haven't. So was it just baseless bragging on Ceekay's side or is this a true GTW? The demo is from spring 1990 – about a year before Ceekay released various converted games. Not sure if he was up to the job at that time but it seems possible that he worked on this.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024