Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Rüdiger
on 2015-06-14
11:16:45
 Street Olympics - bugged version found

Just checking and testing some old tapes and found a classic old program, but in a bugged version. It's Street Olympics.

The prg version is already the fixed version. For this version we need the "repaired" tap from the original tape. Mike is allreday checking his tapes and creates the missing tap (I hope). Thank you Mike for helping.

So whats the bug? Here comes the bug.

In the "fixed" version the game can controlled with either joystick port (1 or 2). Select with F3 for joystick control then space to start. Then you can toggle the joystick left/right for speed up the player.

In the old version the same for start. But when the joystick is plugged in port 1 the event stops after moving the joystick left with ending sound for any event. In port 2 plugged the game stops after a few seconds. (Tested only with game A - all 4 events and stopped in the first event - not checked with game B type). Possible that this bug comes with other effects when you are testing yourself.

The old version starts at $332F. The "fixed" version has some new code and start at $3DA4.

Interesting?

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-06-14
11:48:07
 Re: Street Olympics - bugged version found

...And that's the reason why when I was young I got to hate this game, which had this stupid attitude to quit the game moving the joystick happy
Well spotted Rüdiger!

Posted By

Rüdiger
on 2015-06-14
11:51:57

And just seen - our friend G Tibor has cracked the bugged version ...

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-06-14
19:12:21

For any tape collectors out there this might be a clue to which version is which...

Looking at all my copies of Street Olympics here at home,
The tape that shows OLYMPICS as the found name have COMMODORE 16/PLUS4 printed on the tape label.
The update with STREET OLYMPICS as the found name has COMMDORE 16 on the tape label and this is the better version. The border is also blue to match the sky colour in this version.

Well done Rüdiger for spotting the two different versions! I'll have to update my main collection once again and put a good one away for safe keeping as the original one on the site which is now the "alternative" one came from my main set. Cheers! happy

EDIT:

The old original bugged version that was on the site is still here and is available for download, look for "Old bugged version" just below the other downloads on the game page it's self. For legal reasons it's been renamed as street_olympics_alt.tap so we don't get the two mixed up, in other words it's now an alternative version. wink

Posted By

Sidney
on 2015-06-16
11:38:15

Picked this up a couple of weeks back. The tape says C16 the box has C16/plus4. I prefer to play these types of games via keyboard as I feel the waggling may knacker the stick!

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-06-17
07:29:29

There are about 4-5 era's of when Mastertronic changed the cover style. The first batch of games only stated C16 on the cover such as BMX Racers, but after those early games they then all stated C16/Plus4. So yeah, all copies of Street Olympics will have C16/Plus4 on the cover. I think this is the first time we have ever seen an obvious difference, (with out the need to load it) as normally they would of never of printed just C16 on the tape at the time it was made.

Like there are 2 versions of Rockman, one being C16 only, the other I call it "Plus/4 compatible" yet they both have identical covers and tapes so no way to tell which is which other than loading it on a Plus/4.

In short though, if your Street Olympics has a blue border once the game has loaded then you have the better one. And if your tape is the better one and only states Commodore C16 on the tape it's self then that adds weight to this theory of how to spot the better one.

To be honest though it is crazy such small things come to light 30 years later, nice when the out come is a good one though! happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024