Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2015-06-06
08:11:32
 Old computers made it better :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wDtxYeJdzg

Ok it mentions mainly about C64 or C128 but I suppose Plus4 is in.

Posted By

Litwr
on 2015-06-06
10:44:09
 Re: Old computers made it better :)

I saw only one real advantage - the fast on/off switch. Software, technical information, manuals are available with the net. IMHO one advantage is not mentioned - the almost every key of keyboard of 8-bit Commodore, Spectrum, ... has 3 pictures.

Posted By

George
on 2015-06-06
11:26:56

The fast on/off switch was nihilzed by the long loading times.

The best thing on this machines for me is to know about the limited capabilites and see running breathtaking software on it.

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-06-07
05:55:58

By retro standards the C64 is pig slow when it comes to booting! It still fucks me off to this very day it's so slow because it just hangs there in the realm of faulty machine for far too long. Every time your booting, the C64 teases you in to thinking the VIC has finally given up...

C16/Plus4 goes ((BOOM)) in ya face and is almost instantaneous on booting! See a black screen like a C64 when booting with one of these then you know it's a sign from the GODS that the CPU or TED has gone to heaven. grin

Posted By

Litwr
on 2015-06-07
13:34:44

My C16 works not more than 10-15 minutes then crashes. But C16's boot (when it is ok) is much faster than Linux or Microsoft Windows.

Posted By

Degauss
on 2015-06-08
03:33:04

One thought i had while watching that clip:

For the bigger part of the movie you could also replace "made it better" with "were less complex".

Its especially in that regard were i think the plus/4 shines, even today: Its a fairly simple computer with a fairly clean engineering, has sound and colors, a sophisticated basic and a mc-monitor. From a didactic point of view this is a wonderful setup to get a deeper understanding about almost everything computer-related.

In comparison: Every other "old" computer does something (or in cases lots of things) better than plus/4, but that specific combination of properties is bound to the plus/4. The biggest contrast is the IBM-PC: it doesn't have any of the didactic advantages.

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-06-08
06:42:19

Best computer of the last century has to be the Amiga. A PC might of had more speed and was geared more towards running the latest 3D games but Workbench and many of the Amiga's apps were light years a head of Windows 98. What's more you could have a complete DEATH STAR of an Amiga that could do it all and more running on 32meg of ram while the newest XP computers ran better with 1GB of memory...

This website started out as a 100% made on an Amiga web site and at a time when Plus/4 emulation was more advanced then its's PC counter parts, and why I had all these cool screen shots of stuff that didn't run properly on PC yet, (if you remember that far back). wink
It didn't take long once Window's XP was in the hands of people for PC Plus/4 emulation to catch up and then completely leave the Amiga Plus/4 emulation eating dust for good.

While it lasted though the Amiga did good!! happy
A shame Commodore are not around any more, we might of been using computers that were 7-10 years a head of what we have by today's standards... That's what we have lost. Old computer didn't make it better, they were better! wink

Posted By

Hans
on 2015-06-08
08:26:02

@ Litwr:

The problem with your C16 seems to be the excessive heat, generated by the 7805 and its ceramic resistor (R10). Can be replaced easily by a DC/DC converter.

It's alaso a good idea to apply heat sinks to CPU, PLA and TED.

Posted By

MMS
on 2015-06-08
12:14:54

OFF well, MIK, i am not an expert on Amiga,just like it (owns one A500 too). But sorry to say, for me the A programming with all the falcy OO C programming with keeping in mind multitasking was just too complex. Plus/4 basic, Turbo Pascal was far more intuitive, although a bit slower. Workbench upgrades like Scalos made life easier, i was never been the big fan of WB. Even Geos on C+4 have a better logic, structure, but maybe that's only me. Ok a1200 and a600 is a different world with easy hdd connection and hw support, but a500 and a500+ was really with floppy. Was a pain with Wb for me without hdd. With hdd i do not like the gui.

Posted By

carrion
on 2015-06-08
12:43:35

nice video - funny to watch.

@MMS
on the amiga vs 8bit programming ... i just started to learn m68k assemble and "amiga hardware programming". I have to say it's so easy and so much fun with m68k and copper, blitter stuff that I'm enjoing it so much. In comparison to 8bit programming it's so much easier IMO. I'm not talking about C, Pascal or system programing with opening all the libs,etc, etc. that's insane, especially when you program with C# or Java nowadays. Programing with C on Amiga seams like creazy idea to me wink but assembler is another story... it really is so easy... oh and I have coded some common demo f/x after watching excelent tutorial by photosn scoopex. If you have some time take a look, it starts with mowin a raster bar edning up with complete intro.
here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p83QUZ1-P10&list=PLtjBEWQ66xeLEqAUssJEDQRV1cbQR2-xk

Posted By

George
on 2015-06-08
12:59:40

Its nice to watch you argue, which is the better system. Every machine is worth to be treated with love (even a Mattel Aquarius), because they are all part of computer histopry.

But we surlerly agree, that the plus/4 ist the best system of all time!!!! Especially the v364!

Posted By

Litwr
on 2015-06-08
15:42:04

Hans, thank you. However this work with resistors, etc is like magic for me.

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-06-09
06:58:21

@MMS

A500, A500+ & A600 were games machines, and good at running the odd app such as ProTracker. grin
A1200 & A4000 were the real computers and every thing I said is related to these two rather than the classic ones. wink

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024