Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spektro
on 2015-04-21
05:04:47
 Fonts collection

Hello,
I stumbled upon a Polish Atari site (http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1236639234&archive=&start_from=0&ucat=7&ct=poczatki) which appears to have an Atari fonts collection. I was wondering if Plus/4 World could/should host a Commodore 8x8 pixels fonts collection: high-resolution and multi-color fonts?

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-21
05:44:55
 Re: Fonts collection

Oh well, Plus/4 fonts is like C64 fonts, and almost like the...omg am I really writing 'fonts'? CHARSETS! grin
Even the Atari charsets you've just found can be used on Plus/4 (they're half a Plus/4 set and they're in raw data format, you can import'em, e.g., with Cuneiform and use'em for your stuff).

There are just so many archives on the net about charsets, and we could have our own of course, but I admit we would prefer to spend our efforts for some much specific fields, like HVTC, or the online compos, or the usual continuous adding-on of programs, publications, cheats, infos. All this, in couple with coding and releasing real stuff when the last slice of time can be spent.

Much stuff can be done, but do you now what? All the above is usually performed by the same 2 or 3 guys happy That's the difference between launching a pretty nice task and do it for real grin

PS: do you know? In the golden age, ppl used to release charset collections too ;) Like Setworld or Setview.

Posted By

Spektro
on 2015-04-22
08:30:48

I really haven't found any 8-bit era bitmap fonts (charsets happy) collections before. Some of the Atari charsets looked quite good even though the chars are monospaced and 8x8 pixels in size.

The HVTC is definitely more important collection in my opinion too, but it would be nice to have some graphics related collection which would benefit the whole community.

It's very true that there are more ideas than people capable of realizing them happy But I wouldn't blame the crowd, since not many have the necessary skills and time to make things happen.

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-22
08:59:39

Oh my, no no, I woulldn't intend to blame anyone, also I've never said that HVTC is 'more important than' something else happy HVTC is just an example of a much Plus/4 specific feature to spend some effort into, than a generic one, _this_ is what I said about balancing our spare stamina happy

Posted By

Degauss
on 2015-04-22
15:45:46

I remember - from the old days - we used to have two to three disks full of (standard) charsets - most likely ripped from c64. Somebody already made a collection, this means. If i just could find that disk... Anybody remember theses disks too?

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-22
16:03:41

Jeez, I remember them very well, even the demo designer disks. At the time, they were an essential, nowadays you can steal'em from anywhere in a copuple of minutes. Moreover, somebody recently did a great tool in order to convert .FNT files into Commodore redefined charsets!

Posted By

Degauss
on 2015-04-22
16:27:14

OT: i wondered why nobody ever tried to create something like a generic tool to convert TTF's into an 8-bit ready format (to be blitted in bitmap mode). I tried something like this years ago, but that wasn't a solution for everybody.

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-22
16:28:56

.TTF! I meant .TTF!

Posted By

Degauss
on 2015-04-22
16:32:16

Yeah, sure. Saw it wink Though i didn't check on this tool you were posting, i still wonder how he manages to squeeze proportional fonts into fixed-width ones. Well, it probably won't work to well in every case. But nonetheless: great tool.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024