Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-04-10
02:32:47
 Re: Ladies And Gentlemen, Her Majesty The Bitmap Softsprite!

Note aside and offtopic, just because not everybody might find comfortable terms like "AGSP": I added AGSP in the Plus/4 Encyclopedia as effect years ago, but I'd never linked any release, because, from what I know, no existent Plus/4 software used it along all these days.

A demo effect evaluation can become really a hard task, when HSP, AGSP or Linecrunch definitions are involved, because one doesn't really know how the visible effect really works inside the author's code and which choices (sometimes also hybrid ones) have been implemented. Mostly, I tried to __argue__ that before tagging an effect, and several times I had to go back and untag some of them. Even more difficult, there are some notable misunderstandings because historically some effects have been named in different ways, and there's a bit of confusione between, e.g., HSP and VSP. Just for example, under these three effect's tags, we assigned one single software, just under HSP, and prudence stopped us to assign it to other ones.

Just to babble a bit about some cases:
- how to recognize a HSP instead of a forced memory copying with scrolling, just as the final part of Stukas Over Disneyland, to name one, seems to be?
- what about a VSP? Is it vertical, or horizontal in the very end?
- how to recognize a real Linecrunch, even if somebody has clearly written it in the demo itself (Brainwash 2nd part)?
- where's the right point to distinguish Linecrunch and FLD?
- Plus/4 strictly related: is the technique with $FF1A/B+$FF1F relationable to one of the effects above?

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024