Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Luca
on 2014-12-17
02:25:56
 Thanks to the friendly contribution...

Thanks to the friendly contribution by Giuseppe Di Lillo (sovox), the C16/MSX series hit a turning point to scans and TAPs completion.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2015-01-18
06:37:37
 Re: Thanks to the friendly contribution...

Wow, lots of nice additions. I might be wrong, but I think they were all mostly missing apart from four compilations, weren't they?

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-01-18
06:38:30

Almost that way, yes happy And now the situation's topsyturvy: few missing tapes and scans wink

Posted By

retroscener
on 2015-01-18
06:47:42

Yeah, just noticed there's still twelve missing. Compilation numbers 18, 20, 23, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 31, 32, 34 & 41. Still, it's a lot better than it was happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-01-19
03:02:50

Is Luca becoming as bad as RobertB now, as in creating new topics of the same thing over and over... ? wink

The way it looks to me...
If you don't know, one of these topics of the same thing was hit by 7 bot spam messages Saturday night and obviously the bot was going crazy, I removed the messages. Annoyingly it's managed to activate the same news item multiple times though which would be otherwise impossible. I'm guessing that the problem now, if one topic is deleted they all are?

Posted By

MikeDX
on 2015-01-19
07:41:55

I've found myself having to delete a lot of spam lately too.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-01-19
07:50:15

MIK, this has absolutely nothing to do with Luca. Yeah, some stupid spammers are posting messages which end up being tied to a news item, and when we delete those, the auto-created root post unfortunately stays. So you have to wait a couple of hours for me to wake up, come around to the site and delete those.

Okay, this is for EVERYONE. I hate talking about it, cause when I do, that means the spammers win, but it just keeps coming up. I have filters set up, and they are pretty good. Since last time I looked at it, it caught 974 messages automatically that none of you ever got to see (that doesn't include all the ones where the spammers were blocked by IP). You guys all together manually deleted 41. So, if you click that link and delete something, good, thanks, but just leave it at that and let me handle the rest. I'll take care of it, let's not talk about this on the forums, we should have better topics of conversation going. I will also try to address the kind of spam which is attaching itself to a news item soon.

That's all I have to say about this, thanks happy

Posted By

Luca
on 2015-01-19
09:12:09

OK, just deleted my last three of them, I'm gonna leave all the forthcoming ones.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2015-01-19
14:28:13

OK so it's fine to for me to continue deleting the ones I find whenever I see them come up?
I left some recent ones alone though not knowing if admin wanted to check and ban the ip's first.
Just clarifying, and I'll shut up about it now wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-01-19
14:30:19

Hey, I didn't mean to be harsh, sorry if I was happy

And yes: if you do see anything that is clearly spam, hit the link to get rid of it. Many of us do this (I can see from the logs), so it's whoever sees it first gets to kill it.

I've done the occasional filter adjustment again today. Haven't had a chance to think about how the news item issue happens, I'll look into that later hopefully.

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-01-20
06:09:11

Csabo,

You already know the first line is not even aimed at Luca. That's why the wink was added at the end..., unless you want me to tell EVERYONE that now and then I have secretly sent you messages about RobertB stating I might do something crazy if nothing was done about his spam. Since your last private message I have sort of let things go. However... when an opportunity came up to add a slippery one in I had to take it, as a tongue in cheek. Read it again, it's aimed at you know who. happy

I wouldn't take anything personally what has been said about the spam though. Most of us don't have a clue how it's sorted behind the scenes other than deleting and while you have talked about filters before, that's above the call of duty for us simple folk. I posted many hours, it felt like 24 hours later after the 1st hit I see so I did wonder if you were away, but at the same time I thought Luca would be able to do it... (hear me out).
From what your saying the same message wasn't posted a few times but many and in between you were removing them, that's why it looked like they were still there from the night before to me. That's why my stupid reasoning of if one is deleted they all are, me thinking Luca can't delete them and was waiting for you because of the mess the spammers made. All logical. At the same time I was making Luca or anyone else aware if they were not sure what was going on that maybe I was the cause of it as I had destroyed the evidence. All on your side. This is bot spam we are talking about, not some human sat behind a screen sending a single message related to the site though. This talk was genuinely done to help in the mean time, our small attempt of helping as it were. wink
It wasn't the normal bot spam we see though but something unique that I had not seen before. It had the power to activate new topics of ones that already existed... mad any way.

You have nothing to be sorry for either, don't even say it.

As for the first line again, just remember that English humor can be a bit twisted at times. happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-01-20
16:40:09

All right, cool. I took a look at the issue and indeed the news id being passed in was not properly validated (which is what this bot was exploiting). Now it is (hopefully), so at least that annoying stuff should go away. Standard spam might slip through once in a while as usual, but we're very well armed for that happy

Posted By

JamesC
on 2015-01-20
18:09:04

Hey Csabo, could we change the poll on the homepage? The current one's results are ... odd.

Something like:
Are you a bot?
a) Yes!
b) No, I'm a people
c) Undecided

... just to see how many bots hit the poll. Human visitors will hopefully have enough sense to not choose the first option. happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2015-01-21
10:26:16

Good idea, added. Let's see what comes out of it happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-01-22
05:47:34

You take the NO vote, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the YES vote, you stay in wonderland, and Csabo will show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2015-01-22
14:48:36

I voted, seems to be a loner, haha! happy I just reminded myself to SymbOS topic grin

Posted By

MIK
on 2015-01-22
19:02:53

I don't think a spam bot will ever vote, it has no way of forcing it's advertising when it does. grin

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024