Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-11-29
 Battery 2!!!

I mean BATTERY TWO! Yee-haw! I can't believe I got this one working too. Now go play, this is just in time for the weekend wink

Posted By

Noro
on 2002-12-02
 Instructions?

I never saw this game before and it simply looks great.
Could You (or anyone else) add instructions to it?
(I guess there is a way to change weapons etc.)

I cannot wait to make a map wink

Posted By

Gaia
on 2002-12-02
 Good Work

Well done, Csabo! I wonder if most of the disk games could be hacked to work with the parallel port emulation.

I don't quite understand why Jerry's Quest does not work with the true drive emulation in Yape, if it's not using fast loader at all but only SEQ files I might have missed something... :-/

Posted By

Bacon
on 2002-12-02
 I have another problem

I want to run Battery II on my real Plus/4, but it won't work with a 1551 drive. I prefer to keep my 1541-II drive connected to my C128 and use the 1551 with the Plus/4 so as to avoid switching cables all the time. Is there a version that works with the 1551?
After all, that's the drive you're supposed to use with a Plus/4. wink

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-12-02
 Bacon -->

Run another serial cable from the 1541-II to the Plus/4. In this way you can only have one of the computers (128 or Plus/4) on at a time, and the 1541-II will be overridden by the 1551 if the 1551 is powered on and both are device 8. Power the 1541-II of and on again when you go from the Plus/4 to the 128 and vice-versa.

But for a quick, easy, no messing-with-lots-of-cables method, this will get you by to load a game or two.

And after all, the 1551 wasn't released in the States, so we're used to the 1541 and its' quirks over here. wink

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-12-02
 Csabo -->

I was unable to get Battery 2 to run this past weekend. I unzipped into a seperate diectory and used YAPE's "Load Program" function to load RUN.PRG. I got to the "Game Loading" screen with green background, then after 2 seconds the game reset itself and I was back to the Plus/4 boot screen.

By using YAPE 0.41 in 1541 mode (1551 off), and the .d64 from Funet, I was able to get to the "Game Loading" screen, green background turned to red then another color.... then the program hung.

Using YAPE with 1551 mode (1541 off), I was not able to get any further than using the MS-DOS directory.

I am using the stock YAPE install, no NTSC Kernals or anything unusual.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2002-12-02
 Answers

Everyone:
If you re-download the zip file from us, it now includes TPSH's trained version (run TRAINED.PRG instead of RUN.PRG).

Noro:
Ship movement: Joy or Z X / ;
Fire: Joy fire button or Shift
Autofire: Joy autofire button or Shift Lock

Return: Info
Space: Select weapon (+info)
Run/Stop: Pause game (fire to restart)
C=: Anti-grav (number in lower-right corner)
Ctrl: sound on/off
Esc: Game Over

Weapon icons:
Green (S): Shield
Yellow (G): Proton gun (the only one that 'opens' walls, but can't activate switches)
Green (M): Machine gun (activates switches)
Blue (W): Shockwave (double fire, activates switches)
Gray (L): Laser gun (fires down, activates switches)

You start out with Shields and Proton gun. You can pick up more weapons/ammo by getting those 'barrels' (with the handle on top). The first one you will encounter is in the service tunnel (3rd screen 1st level).

The switches are the diagonal 'turrets'. If you shoot into them just right you will either get an 'Inactive' message (this switch doesn't do anything) or 'Activated XX' which means a door has just opened.

Bacon:
D64 Recall disk #262 side B has an 1551 version of this game on it. Copy that to a floppy and play on a real Plus/4 wink

James C
I'm not sure what you are doing wrong. It worked for me on every machine I downloaded it to so far.

Posted By

Bacon
on 2002-12-04
 Thanks, James C and Csabo

Csabo:
I tried the version from D64 Recall. The game loaded and ran OK but when I finished playing and it started to save the highscore, the whole computer just locked up with a frozen screen. Any ideas?

James C:
I'll go with your advice until I get the 1551 problems straightened out.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2002-12-04
 Bacon -->

When running a program meant for 1551, make sure you have nothing on the serial bus turned on.... not a 1541-II, not a printer... and also make sure you don't have your Datasette plugged in.

Something in the back of my mind tells me that 1551 doesn't like direct access (outside of normal load/saves) with other items on the input/output lines. Commodore had a problem with Datasettes tying up lines with VIC-20 also.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024